2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first post on this forum, I hope y'all can offer some advice.

My car is a 2013 Mazda3 iSport Automatic w/ 1500 miles, bought April 15.

Approx. 2.5 weeks after having the car, when it had ~800 miles on it, I was stopped in traffic at a red light and the engine stalled. The check engine light came on as well. I turned it back on and the CEL went off.

Brought it to the dealership 2 days after that, where they could not find any codes nor could they reproduce the stall, so they sent me on my way.

Since then, on more than 3 occasions, the engine has started to surge when stopped or coasting in 1st gear. Once in a drive thru, once when coasting up to a stop sign in stop/go traffic, once right after starting the car in a parking lot...and so on. I live in TX, so for all of these occurrences it has been 90+ degrees outside.

I took it back to the dealer again because they thought that a TSB from 2012 could have applied to my vehicle, but apparently it did not and after 4 hours they couldn't figure out anything again.

I dropped it off last Saturday (this is visit #3 in < 2 months of ownership...not cool) for them to drive it around for a few days to get more data to send to Mazda and hopefully actually do something.

Any ideas on what could possibly be wrong with my car??

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
First off welcome to the forum Heather! Second this is a first never have I heard about an issue like this. But just so you know if you have it again happen especially after taking to Mazda and having corporate involved you have the chance of using the Magnuson–Moss Warranty. Look it up if you don't know what it is

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I also live in TX, and my 2.0 Sky never seems to act funny because of the weather. However, there are a couple of people on the CX-5 forum @ mazdas24/7 (sky 2.0) that had issues with the engine randomly losing power/power accessories and forced to travel at low speed. Also some issues with the transmission getting stuck at low rpm. I don't recall anyone posting an issue with the car stalling in low gear though, mostly at highway speed they were having issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all, here's a quick update, I don't have complete details since I don't have the car back yet:

It has been w/ the dealer since Saturday. They still couldn't reproduce the issues and the computer hadn't logged any errors/codes, but they have had complaints from others about similar things, and their cars had logged errors. They replaced a valve (Idle Air Control valve I assume).

Then they basically gave it a brain transplant (replaced the computer) because since it had said everything was fine and it obviously wasn't, they figured the computer itself was defective.

After putting in the new computer, it showed another error with the oil pump not sending enough oil to some parts of the engine. Mazda is having them replace the oil pump (which won't arrive til Monday) and then they have to drive/test everything again.

But at least they don't think I'm a liar anymore :p

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Thanks y'all, here's a quick update, I don't have complete details since I don't have the car back yet:

It has been w/ the dealer since Saturday. They still couldn't reproduce the issues and the computer hadn't logged any errors/codes, but they have had complaints from others about similar things, and their cars had logged errors. They replaced a valve (Idle Air Control valve I assume).

Then they basically gave it a brain transplant (replaced the computer) because since it had said everything was fine and it obviously wasn't, they figured the computer itself was defective.

After putting in the new computer, it showed another error with the oil pump not sending enough oil to some parts of the engine. Mazda is having them replace the oil pump (which won't arrive til Monday) and then they have to drive/test everything again.

But at least they don't think I'm a liar anymore :p
Glad to hear that Mazda is taking care of you! Keep us updated

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
So it was a computer issue that made the real problem invisible.. Good think they didn't jack u around

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Damn that blows, I've never heard of anything like that before. If you know someone with an ultragauge (hooks up to your OBDII port) or you'd like to purchase one. Drive with it for a couple days, if anything acts up that little computer would pick it up and tell you exactly whats going on UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

I own one and its the best $60 I've spent on the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 12 days, a new ECM that recorded the right error (P0015), a new oil pump and OCV valve, all seems well again. There is also a TSB for rough idle (01-003/13) that applies to 2.0L 3s and the CX-5.

I got it back today, and could immediately tell a positive change in the way it drives and idles...so now I hope I can just enjoy driving again :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Great glad it worked

·
Registered
102 Posts
After 12 days, a new ECM that recorded the right error (P0015), a new oil pump and OCV valve, all seems well again. There is also a TSB for rough idle (01-003/13) that applies to 2.0L 3s and the CX-5.

I got it back today, and could immediately tell a positive change in the way it drives and idles...so now I hope I can just enjoy driving again :thumbup:
Where can we get more info on that TSB for the rough idle?

·
Registered
405 Posts

That's funny, when I brought my brand new 2013 3 to the dealer for the poor freeway ride (which they decided not to even check the alignment) I mentioned the rough idle and he just said it's normal

·
Registered
405 Posts
I will, I printed out the pdf. Of course the car may vibrate somewhat at idle naturally. I'm new to the car but I didn't think I should feel vibrating through the steering wheel in a new car but the engine does seem kind of buzzy anyway

·
Registered
405 Posts
Second opinion from another dealer on poor freeway ride and idle. There for 2 hours, tells me everything is normal.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Second opinion from another dealer on poor freeway ride and idle. There for 2 hours, tells me everything is normal.
Maybe it actually is normal. 2 dealers have told you this and all of us have pretty much said it's normal yet you still think somethings wrong.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I still think it can be improved, and I will try to improve it.
If i fail I will slink into acceptance.

Step 1-new tires and wheels
Step 2-Wheel alignment from independent shop

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I still think it can be improved, and I will try to improve it.
If i fail I will slink into acceptance.

Step 1-new tires and wheels
Step 2-Wheel alignment from independent shop
More power to you. If you can improve it then great. Whatever you do do not take any toe out of the car. If you zero out the toe the car will wander on the road even more. Slight toe in helps the car track straight.

·
Registered
405 Posts
More power to you. If you can improve it then great. Whatever you do do not take any toe out of the car. If you zero out the toe the car will wander on the road even more. Slight toe in helps the car track straight.
I will mention that to them, thanks.
I remember getting wheel alignments at the Chevy dealer and the car always drove like ass afterwards. This independent shop near me aligned it afterwards and changed some specs (I believe it was toe) and the car rode much better afterwards. I only let them touch the car after that. Best $60 I ever spent.
Switching from Michelin Primacy tires to Yokohama YK580 really improved the freeway ride as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts