2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per owner manual, I tried to push the knob on the left side of the gauges to activate the dimming feature and then rotate the knob clockwise and counterclockwise, but my gauges and SAT-NAV screen stay bright. Of course I had the headlamps ON. I then tried to press the knob again and repeat the process but had no luck. FYI, my SAT-NAV display is on AUTO mode (means it should dim with the dash). Anyone else has the same issue? Hate to take it in and wait and wait only to find out I had overlooked something simple. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem, your nav can go into a dimmed night mode but ive noticed auto will NEVER do it. Im convinced the rotating knob is there to tease you. When in doubt call your dealer and explain the situation, best case, he laughs alittle and fixes it over the phone.worst case, they schedule an appointment.
Hope you find a solution :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the nav set to auto, mine dims when the headlights go on. Pushing the knob will stop that and it'll be on full brightness.

So at the very least, don't let them tell you its normal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took it in two days ago and got it back today. They had replaced the dimming stark. It is a lot stiffer and WORKS! The old one broke according to the dealer.

Re my other post of the the NAVI not 'honing' in my position when car is stopped. He said it was normal because the sky is not clear and too many buildings. Sounds like a BS to me!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for describing that you had to push the button and turn the lights on. Sheesh. I totally didn't figure that out. It's not like I use the Navi very often, tho, and the audio screen isn't very bright either way so it didn't matter. (What I want to know, is if the headlights know it's dark out, why doesn't the dash use that sensor too?)

Naw, my Navi is really slow, too. I think it's a function of TomTom being kinda lame. In fact, it almost always thinks I'm 50' behind where I am, even when sitting still.

-Crissa

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for describing that you had to push the button and turn the lights on. Sheesh. I totally didn't figure that out. It's not like I use the Navi very often, tho, and the audio screen isn't very bright either way so it didn't matter. (What I want to know, is if the headlights know it's dark out, why doesn't the dash use that sensor too?)

Naw, my Navi is really slow, too. I think it's a function of TomTom being kinda lame. In fact, it almost always thinks I'm 50' behind where I am, even when sitting still.

-Crissa
Pushing that button near the speedometer will toggle between allowing the displays to dim automatically or always staying on bright and overriding any selection chosen in the NAV menus.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

-Crissa
you are correct. My NAVI is really slow to the touch and the voice guidance volume is low too especially now that I changed to a female 'real' voice to get street name pronunciation. It was preset to the Australian male accent with a little bit of humor which I found funny (those with the NAVI knows what I mean).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah! I set it to the Australian voice for awhile but that seemed to crash it alot.

Passengers thought it was hilarious. I doubt my Aussie friends would ^-^

-Crissa

·
Registered
184 Posts
Man, I'm really not liking the default dimming of the dash. It's nearly always too dim now. The lighting on the dash needs to be different under the trees and tunnels than twilight or midnight, but it maxes out at way dim. *sigh* Win some, lose some.

-Crissa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts