2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just to update, I did a drain and fill today just for kicks before giving up and going to either Gillece or the Dealer.

3.5L on the dot, came out a greyish blue. More grey than blue.

I got 6 quarts of the FZ, so I filled it back up and went on my way. If it seems to get better, ill probably do another drain and fill to try and get more old fluid out in ~1000 miles or so.
So, Nick, any word from the dealer? What would it cost for the solenoid change? I am back to the dealer a second time. First time, they reprogrammed the TCM as the TSB states. It threw codes again this weekend, 4 days after the dealer. Another appointment to verify codes and order parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So, Nick, any word from the dealer? What would it cost for the solenoid change? I am back to the dealer a second time. First time, they reprogrammed the TCM as the TSB states. It threw codes again this weekend, 4 days after the dealer. Another appointment to verify codes and order parts.
My dealer said there were no applicable TSBs for the 2011 built 6ATs, so that wasnt even an option. I did find through parts research that what I believe to be the correct solenoid has now been revised 5 times (A, B, C, D, E, F, G Current) The valve body appears to have been revised a few times as well. My VIN/AT serial corresponds to revision "B" solenoid, and 1st gen valve body.

Since the gasket has to cure for ~18-24 hours before loading fluid its a multi day process, but labor was quoted at 3.5-4 hours because the gasket surfaces need to be spotless. The solenoid appears to be fairly easy to change.

The part is between $75 and $150 depending on your dealer and youll need about $60 in ATF.
$100/hr Labor * 4 hours
$75-$150 part
$60 ATF
Id expect around $500-600

Just for the record im ~150 miles in after fluid change, and the trans feel completely different. Its super smooth, and coasts really "freely" No errors, no codes, nothing.

Im going 500-1000 miles and doing this again.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Left car overnight for the tranny hesitating when shifting from reverse to drive. Of course they say it didn't happen for them.
Yet, it happened for me when leaving the dealer.
Pretty fed up at this point

·
Registered
22 Posts
Left car overnight for the tranny hesitating when shifting from reverse to drive. Of course they say it didn't happen for them.
Yet, it happened for me when leaving the dealer.
Pretty fed up at this point
After Rounds 3 & 4, finally, Mazda Canada came through and fixed the trans as per the bulletin. No problems to date. I sure hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Figured id update again.

Ive put about 1000 miles on since the drain and fill. It was typically the worst when it was above 65 degrees ambient. Weve had several 85 degree days and it has been fine so far. Im going to do another drain and fill in two weeks when I put my summer wheels back on, just to be safe. Hopefully that should net around 60-75% new fluid. (You drain roughly half when you drain and fill)

The lifetime fluid/100k check recommendation is not in your best interest. Ive spoken to a few other people in my area with these cars and one other person had dealt with these same issues as well. He had a 2013.

My personal recommendation is a 40-50k drain and fill at the least. It will cost you about $60 in fluid (4 qt) depending on your dealer.
Its pretty simple to do although the plastic clips are a pain. Just be patient and try to not break them. Its a pretty simple job with a jack, stands and pretty basic hand tools.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, I left my car at the dealer and it acted up for them so they are going to replace the transmission.
I'm glad I'm getting this done before the warranty runs out in October but a little nervous having such a big job done.
Hope it goes well

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just got my car back. So far so good. Tranny was smooth as silk on the freeway, in fact it's never been this smooth.
5 years of suffering for no reason

181 - 190 of 190 Posts