2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first auto-x event I'm attending is this Sunday in Verona, VA. Anyone else going to an event soon? Anyone going to the Verona one? If you're nearby, come and check it out! I'll be rocking my new wheels and tires for it. :yes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ive done two autocrosses and a time attack so far this year. Have another time attack coming up on the 7th then a PDX at Daytona on the 15th.

Fresh set of coilovers to help :)

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok so I ended up not going to the Verona auto-x due to a long St. Patty's day, woke up with alcohol still in my veins and could not legally drive there, lol. Anyways I went to the next event for my area yesterday and had amazing results! 3 cars in my STF class: 04 Civic EX, some 2 door focus hatch, and myself. Won my class and got 3rd fastest PAX of everyone present. Also hit my first cone ever after doing this for a year but it was only a graze so it is a good hit!

Standings: SCCA Blue Ridge Region Click on results on the top then April 22nd Salem. I'm listed under the STF Class

Pics:

My trophy:

Vids:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB32778DDDAC85EEF

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
How old do you have to be to auto-x? Can I do it at 17? And the other thing is the courses looks so effing confusing.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As long as you have a license you can drive but if you aren't 18, you need a parent signature. Its a good way to get your parents out, maybe even let them enter. And a lot of people I talk to say that but then after they do their first event, they retract the statement. Just get out there and do it!

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
My dad used to scca his na miata so I know he'll let me. Do you just put masking tape on the bumper in case you smack a cone? I guess little scuffs are the name of the game but I'd like to avoid them as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I have a feeling I'd hit a few. I've very rarely pushed my car to its limits so I dont really know how it will react. Another weird question, do you ever downshift to 1st or just leave it in second?

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I semi-launch in 1st then drive to redline and shift or if there is a turn ahead and I'm close to redline, I'll shift to second then turn. Helps prevent some wheel spin when cornering as well when in second. After that, I don't shift again. Its rare to get above 2nd, beacuse that is going about 55+ or so on a course, and it must be long or have a straightaway(defeats the purpose imo)

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info. boogidy boogidy boogidy lets go racing boys.

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
I've already been to two 'test & tune' events and I'm planning to attend all of them at the local track this summer. Next year I will do competative events.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've already been to two 'test & tune' events and I'm planning to attend all of them at the local track this summer. Next year I will do competative events.
Do it anyway!

·
Zoom Zooming
126 Posts
I've got my first autox on june 10th. I'm excited.:D

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got my first autox on june 10th. I'm excited.:D

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Very nice! Its a blast! Have a way of recording it?

·
TM3 Member
105 Posts
i am doing auto-x this year as well (PITL series). i am classed in B-Mod due to my springs and rear sway bar.
PITL Results

Current setup
16x7" Rays Gram Lights 57C
225/50/16 Bridgestone Potenza S-02 (140 tread wear, just enough for street tire bonus lol :shifty:)
Road Magnet 1.75" Springs with Koni Yellow Dampers
Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar/Exhaust
B&M Transmission Cooler

May 5th, 2012
first event, it should be noted that i had racing beat springs and stock dampers, not to mention it was my very first time. my goal was to learn the basics and put down a clean run/time.

teeth inspired by tealtuna lol

side by side comparison with a friend who is usually 2sec faster and is a veteran (b stock champion)
PITL 2012 #1 - Mazda3 #78 vs. PITL 2012 #1 - Mazda 3 #48 by VJ MBNTO | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper

May 26th, 2012
second event, it should be noted that i removed my cold air intake, installed B&M transmission cooler as wells as road magnet springs with koni yellow dampers, but had no alignment and worn out front brake pads. i hope to correct them in time for the next event. my goal this time was to consistently put down clean runs/times. i finished in the middle of my class and 62nd overall, iirc, out of 120 competitors.

dat taep werk lol

side by side comparison with a friend who is usually 2sec faster and is a veteran (b stock champion)
Mazda3 #48 - PITL #2 2012 vs. Mazda3 #58 - PITL #2 2012 by VJ zzz3 | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper

1 - 20 of 46 Posts