2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2012 Rebuilt title MS3 $19000, fair price?

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  OrangeVirus1 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of trading my 2010 HB for this ms3. It only got 460 miles. but with a rebuilt title. has tech package includes navigation and push button start.
Wondering if this is a good/fair price for a rebuilt/repaired car?
I'm really considered it if i get at least $15500 for my HB. It's an AT with about 19K miles on it.

#2 ·
Sounds like a good deal but do you know what exactly had to be repaired?

#5 ·
If it's front end damage DO NOT GET IT ! Salvages with front end damage never make a 100% recovery.
If you still choose to get this car, haggle the price. Salvages are very negotiable with price. You can't get it down to at the very least (but probably more) $14,000.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

#8 ·
dont got for the salvage. never know if it has been fixed correctly. I work in the insurance industry and have been told by the senior adjustors to avoid salvage title cars like a plague. Plus some insurance companies wont even insure them. There's a reason the insurance company decided its better to just total the car than to fix it.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the inputs. Car looks really clean, exterior wise. It had front end damage. It was hit on right front. Bumper, lights,hood were replaced. Not sure if airbags deployed. Haven't talked to them yet, just saw the ad online.
The car is in chicago. It's listed on autotrader. If
Someone from chicago area could go take a look and tell us about it.

#11 ·
I just thought about it... There is no way I would buy that particular salvage.
That car is new. Literally. The sticker price is about $22,000. In order for a car to be totaled the damage has to cost 70% or maybe it was 75% of the car. Even saying its 70%. Based on that sticker price I gave you that's $15,400 in damage. That's a lot of damage, even more so to a new car because the parts for a car are usually cheapest when they first come out. So think about it do you really want to take on a car that has already had that much damage? On top of that it is very difficult to sell and dealership of they will even do a trade-in on it will give you only a couple hundred dollars.
Now that I thought of all of that I think I would pass on that potential headache.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

#12 ·
Forget it, rebuild cars are never a good idea.
(1) you don't know anything about how it was repaired IE; what corners were cut in order to keep costs down.
(2) It is almost impossible to trade or sell a car with a rebuilt title, so be prepared to keep it until the wheels fall off.
(3) There is a very good reason why it was a salvage car in the first place, insurance companies are not in the business of losing money, so if it had been more realistic to repair than to write off guess what option they would have taken.

My advice, run, don't walk from this deal.

Pat.

#13 ·
Well, seems like not a good idea to buy it. Thanks for all the feedbacks.
I guess I might have to pass on this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.