2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I just wanted to let everyone know my about my journey on a smoother shifting transmission. I have a 2012 MS3 with 9200 miles on it. I really didn't have any problems as of late with the transmission. Now that fall is here, the days are cooler here in Indiana and the transmission had a huge problem going into 2nd gear. It didn't grind but it was very, very notchy. So after doing some reading I decided to change the transmission fluid. I didn't go with the ford MT sauce route as it is still under warranty and I wanted an in spec fluid. I happened to be browsing the web and found that O'Reiley's carries Pentosin MTF2 75W-80 GL-4 full synthetic fluid. I bought three quarts and drained the old and filled it back up with 2.75 quarts of fluid (until it was dribbling out the fill hole). Once I changed the fluid I noticed right away that the LSD was whining on tight turns and backing the car up. After doing some more research I found that I needed to add some friction modifier to the MTF fluid. I came to the conclusion after doing much reading that is that I needed to add 1% of the total fill of friction modifier to quite down the LSD, which worked out to be roughly 1oz/30ml (1 NyQuil medicine cup to be exact). I also found out that the Ford friction modifier XL-3 supersedes XL-7. Once I added the friction modifier, the transmission was back to normal, smooth as butter and quite.

On a side note I also adjusted the shifter cable and greased the shafts of the cable (where the shaft goes into the plastic collar of the cable) with silver anti-seize, inside of the car and outside of the car cable shafts. For the outside ends of the cable I had to remove the air cleaner intake box and pull back the rubber "accordion" covers.

Side note two, in case you were wondering on how the old oil looked after 9200 miles it was quite clean but had a extremely fine cloud of golden shavings in it. To me it looked like normal wear on the brass synchros. I let the oil sit over night and I looked at the bottom of the pan when I poured the old oil into the containers there was super super fine brass shavings. It didn't look any different than when you change auto tranny fluid. I probably did good changing out the fluid as it shifts better now :biggrin:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Im creeping up on 4k miles, this inspired me to change out my tranny fluid as soon as i have a spare moment, thanks man.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Im creeping up on 4k miles, this inspired me to change out my tranny fluid as soon as i have a spare moment, thanks man.
No problem, glad I could help. There isn't a lot of write ups on the 2010+ MS3's. But a few key things to remember is that since your are still in warranty I would keep to the stock fluid specs 75W-80 GL4. Pentosin MTF2 is the best I could find locally other than the Ford MTF. I would just plan on adding the friction modifier if you use the Pentosin, you can just go to your local ford dealer and ask for some XL-3 Friction Modifier; it should be like 7-10 bucks. The Pentosin is 23 bucks a quart and O'Reiley's might only have one quart in stock, so better to go to the store and visually see what they have (I had to go to two O'Reiley's stores to get all of the fluid I needed) if they don't have enough, order some or do a inner store transfer.

On a side note, I think adjusting the shift cable and greasing the cable shaft collars with anti-seize did the most. The fluid was a just because I think I needed it.

Side note 2, if you don't have a Mazdaspeed 3 with a LSD don't add the friction modifier. The FM is used to quite the chatter on the clutch packs on the LSD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 mazdaspeed 3 and my diff is chattering when I do you turns is it safe to add the ford friction modifier to help with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts