2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Google has me at my wits end and I figured I need to just ask the question. I replaced the brake pads and rotors on my 2012 Mazda3 (trim i Touring 4dr Sedan 6M, per VIN lookup), I watched multiple YouTube videos, reviewed the service manual, and confirmed with the seller that the parts fit my car before shipping them.

I was able to jack my car up and perform the work (fyi - the videos I watched didn't tell me the old rotor was going to corrode onto the hub and I'd have to beat it off with a hammer), but I was able to put on the new rotor and new pads.

When I started driving my car, there was a horrible metal on metal grinding noise. I checked the car, pads were installed properly (ceramic brake pad contacting the rotor disc), couldn't see anything wrong. Tried "bedding in" the brakes to see if it was going to go away, no luck.

After that I saw the problem - the new brake pads were too "long" (not too wide or tall) and were having metal-on-metal contact with the inner circle of the new rotor (grinding and carving out a nice chunk). Pictures had to be uploaded to another site, below:

s16.postimg.org/wpuft70rp/Brakepad_Contact_W_Rotor_See_Carving.jpg
s22.postimg.org/gqzrqaexd/Pad_Contact_Area.jpg
s15.postimg.org/jvmu5vfrf/Dimensions_of_Max_Pad.jpg
s17.postimg.org/vx1mz1p1b/Dimensions_of_OEM_Pad.jpg

With that said, I'm 99% positive I did the install right. I reinstalled the caliper mounting bracket on its holes, I put the caliper back on that bracket and lined the "hooks" of the brake pads up against that lip (where they will have to sit). The caliper sliding pins were also reinstalled just fine, which I assume they wouldn't if the bracket was misaligned.

I've contacted the seller who stated they "never saw this before" and reassured me the parts are compatible and the right parts were shipped. I did notice before installation their pads were "longer" on the outsides than the original (the outside area of the pad backing versus the brake pad itself), but I didn't fully measure everything before installing. I did measure one of the rotors against an old rotor and I can confirm the rotors are the exact dimensions.

Could anyone let me know if they've run into this issue before? I'd like to know if I'm missing something, or if the seller just doesn't have compatible parts.

Parts used:
Max Advanced Brakes: KT008933

·
Working Class Hero
3,605 Posts
Still have the old pads? Quick comparison might be enlightening.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
I have had problems with pad material thickness causing binding brakes from some new pads but never one too long for the rotor hat like that, are we sure the seller actually gave you the right parts? like Gerry said I would compare old and new pads or take off a side of the new ones and take the wife's or neighbors car to the local parts store and compare their pads to the ones you bought bring a caliper (measuring tool) with you to size them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The dimensions of those brake pads definitely don't look right. I have a 2012 Skyactiv and installed EBC Greenstuff pads on the car front and rear and the pad doesn't contact the hub.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Hi guys,

Google has me at my wits end and I figured I need to just ask the question. I replaced the brake pads and rotors on my 2012 Mazda3 (trim i Touring 4dr Sedan 6M, per VIN lookup), I watched multiple YouTube videos, reviewed the service manual, and confirmed with the seller that the parts fit my car before shipping them.

I was able to jack my car up and perform the work (fyi - the videos I watched didn't tell me the old rotor was going to corrode onto the hub and I'd have to beat it off with a hammer), but I was able to put on the new rotor and new pads.

When I started driving my car, there was a horrible metal on metal grinding noise. I checked the car, pads were installed properly (ceramic brake pad contacting the rotor disc), couldn't see anything wrong. Tried "bedding in" the brakes to see if it was going to go away, no luck.

After that I saw the problem - the new brake pads were too "long" (not too wide or tall) and were having metal-on-metal contact with the inner circle of the new rotor (grinding and carving out a nice chunk). Pictures had to be uploaded to another site, below:

s16.postimg.org/wpuft70rp/Brakepad_Contact_W_Rotor_See_Carving.jpg
s22.postimg.org/gqzrqaexd/Pad_Contact_Area.jpg
s15.postimg.org/jvmu5vfrf/Dimensions_of_Max_Pad.jpg
s17.postimg.org/vx1mz1p1b/Dimensions_of_OEM_Pad.jpg

With that said, I'm 99% positive I did the install right. I reinstalled the caliper mounting bracket on its holes, I put the caliper back on that bracket and lined the "hooks" of the brake pads up against that lip (where they will have to sit). The caliper sliding pins were also reinstalled just fine, which I assume they wouldn't if the bracket was misaligned.

I've contacted the seller who stated they "never saw this before" and reassured me the parts are compatible and the right parts were shipped. I did notice before installation their pads were "longer" on the outsides than the original (the outside area of the pad backing versus the brake pad itself), but I didn't fully measure everything before installing. I did measure one of the rotors against an old rotor and I can confirm the rotors are the exact dimensions.

Could anyone let me know if they've run into this issue before? I'd like to know if I'm missing something, or if the seller just doesn't have compatible parts.

Parts used:
Max Advanced Brakes: KT008933
Ok you bought a set of pads and rotors at all corners. when you went to put them on did you check to make sure you did not put the front on the rear and rear on the front? it would probably be hard to do but I bet it could be done. the front and rear pads are very very similar on the 3. However the part number stamped on the back of the pad in this link:http://s15.postimg.org/jvmu5vfrf/Dimensions_of_Max_Pad.jpg is the correct part designation but it maybe a defective mold for making that pad, I would contact the seller and ask to swap the set out for another, if they still are wrong, refund and different brand I have not heard of the brand you bought and it looks like an off brand from a major brake company, maybe a bad batch..... contact the seller

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys!

GerryB - I do still have the old pads.

Kms1990 - I've actually only done the front brakes for now (and left the rear untouched), I did compare the two boxes they sent (front and rear) and made sure to use the pads for the front (which were the larger ones since they're the front brakes, and the only ones with the 3 prong clip for the back pad). I'm actually just praying there will be no issue when I do the rear for now haha ... we'll know on my weekend, since I know have 4 jack stands to do a complete fluid flush.

I went as far as getting a tape measure and measuring the OEM pads at the inner and outer curve and providing them those exact dimensions. They've replied stating "that's their dimensions", but to me it seems like that's not the case (I'll explain).

I'm hoping it's just a bad mold. I'm going to tell them if they in-fact measure the pads they send, and they are those physical dimensions, than to ship them and there won't be a problem (and I'll own those pads/any issues). If I get them and they're not the same measurements as the OEM, I'll chalk it up to the seller doesn't know what they're doing.

To add to this story, I actually can't measure the Max Advanced Brake pads original dimensions anymore, because I took a dremel tool and ground down that contact area until there was no more "outer mold" of the brake pad and it was just the ceramic pad itself. Put them back on so I could drive my car, and no more grinding noises :). Now I'd just like rotors that aren't carved out.

I'll go ahead and push the seller more for replacement parts and we'll see how it goes haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts