2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Before I go and jack it up and start spinning the wheels around to be 100% sure, here's what's going on:

I have a noise coming from the front that almost sounds like a UFO, it is NOT a grinding noise. It's more of a whoowhoowhoo or brushing noise that increases in speed with my speed. It stays there in neutral as well. It feels like I have some bumping in the steering wheel and if I'm going fast and hit the brakes I also get some bumping in the brake pedal.

It does NOT go away with left or right turns and it does not grind so I'm pretty sure it's not a wheel bearing.

The noise started as an almost imperceptible whoowhoowhoo that has gotten progressively worse. My MPG has dropped dramatically and I pick up less speed coasting down hills than before.

Anything else I should look for when I jack it up? Any recommendations on rotors? Any idea what caused it? I only have 35000 miles, this started about 5k ago. I do probably 60/20/20 highway/traffic/winding backroads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also found a thread on brake pad depositing which makes a lot of sense and the braking/stopping/parking scenario fits me to a T. To get home I have to go down a bunch of steep hills over several miles so there is a lot of brake/let go/brake/let go going down them but inevitably I have to stop somewhere and since my driveway is a hill...can't really escape the parking brake use :(

mazda3forums.com/398-mazdaspeed3-brakes-suspension/352554-less-than-30k-rotors-already-warped-2.html

·
Super Moderator
6,529 Posts
Check your tires. One of them may have a separated belt. It should be pretty obvious. There will be a slight deformation in the tread face. You should be able to feel it by running your hand over it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts