2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
UPDATE:

It has been a few weeks now and the rattle in the back end has NOT returned. Maybe if finally was fixed with that 5th trip to the dealership. Heat shield banging against the sway bar was what I was told. In addition to that they reinsulated the shock mounts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im aslo getting a slight rattle coming from the front passenger side, its more of a ticking sound and seems to be coming from the roof or the central roof light cluster? its really annoying. It only happens over any rough road surfaces, on smooth roads its ok. My car has a sunroof but it doesnt seem to be related

·
Registered
124 Posts
UPDATE:

It has been a few weeks now and the rattle in the back end has NOT returned. Maybe if finally was fixed with that 5th trip to the dealership. Heat shield banging against the sway bar was what I was told. In addition to that they reinsulated the shock mounts.
Reinsulating the shock mounts is probably what took care of the issue. Based on the research that I've done, all the odds pointed to the shock mounts. I still have that noise and some other rattle that just appeared. I will try to take everything out of the trunk space and see what happens. Thanks for all the updates.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just bought a Mazda 3 sedan and it has rattling WTF??? what can i do????
Where is the sound loudest?

Does it rattle on bumps or from engine vibration/air/rolling?

Did you check for loose crap in the pockets? Behind the pop-out panels?

-Crissa

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Hello all. I have been away from the boards for awhile. I had several (5) trips to the dealer ship over last winter and spring to deal with the rattle in the back end of my then new 12 Mazda3. The noise was gone after the 5th trip. It has been gone for about 4 or 5 months. It has now returned. Same noise as before. Going back to the dealership for the 6th time over this issue. My love for this car has so many highs and lows. Started out great then when down when the noise started. Went back up when I thought it was fixed for good. Now it is low again now that the noise is back. Very frustrating purchase I have ever had with a car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
UPDATE: I took my 2012 3 back to the dealership because I had been hearing the rattle again. Got it back and they said everything seemed find and they could not replicate the sound.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Mine rattles a little bit if you accelerate after clearing a large bump/hump. I've noticed it seems to be related to some extra heat shield material on the right side of the fuel tank (under the car obviously) that flops around, doesn't actually shield anything. Depending on which way I bend it, I can get rid of the rattling for a few weeks. It just returned after we messed with my exhaust, so I'll cut it out soon, for now it's pretty harmless.

Just more anecdotal evidence for those of you with this problem. :)

·
Ian'sDGM3
26 Posts
rattle near trunk hinges

Just thought I'd pipe in here... I too had an annoying rattle ( faint bag of coins noise ). I found the noise myself. Turned out to be these two small plastic pins behind the trunk hinges. They serve as a resting spot for the hinge. They were very loose in the holes, so I took them out a bit and filled with some hot glue. I found it by flicking them and then hearing the sound. You wouldn't think that these little plastic head pins would make a metal tinging/clanking sound but they do. Car is quiet in the back now..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Rattle still there

I have now owned my mazda3 for over 15 months and I'm sorry to say this car has been a disappointment. Yes, I love the gas mileage and it drives awesome. The rattle in the passenger rear section is totally unacceptable. It is still rattling. Some days worse than ever. Smooth highway driving I don't hear it until some uneven pavement or bumps. I hear it over quiet songs that are playing on the stereo. So darn annoying.

I also had the 3 in for what sounded like the back windshield cracking and popping. Apparently the seal around the window was going. There are several rattles coming from the dash that are intermittent that are also very annoying.

This just might be my first and last mazda. All the dealership does is scratch their head with the back end rattle. I've had it there almost 10 times now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have now owned my mazda3 for over 15 months and I'm sorry to say this car has been a disappointment. Yes, I love the gas mileage and it drives awesome. The rattle in the passenger rear section is totally unacceptable. It is still rattling. Some days worse than ever. Smooth highway driving I don't hear it until some uneven pavement or bumps. I hear it over quiet songs that are playing on the stereo. So darn annoying.

I also had the 3 in for what sounded like the back windshield cracking and popping. Apparently the seal around the window was going. There are several rattles coming from the dash that are intermittent that are also very annoying.

This just might be my first and last mazda. All the dealership does is scratch their head with the back end rattle. I've had it there almost 10 times now.
Do the rear seats fold down? If they do, on my MS3 I had to grease the rear latch and seat latches that fold down to quite that down. I also had to reposition the felt pads for the trunk cover/lid as well as grease the hinges and that finally took care of everything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Do the rear seats fold down? If they do, on my MS3 I had to grease the rear latch and seat latches that fold down to quite that down. I also had to reposition the felt pads for the trunk cover/lid as well as grease the hinges and that finally took care of everything.
Seats do fold down. The issue is in the shock mount area. I believe it has something to do with the heat shield. I had that part diagnosed on one of my earlier visits and every time I go back to the dealership and say it is the same issue reoccurring they do nothing and say its fine. Well its NOT fine and hasn't been since I bought it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Seats do fold down. The issue is in the shock mount area. I believe it has something to do with the heat shield. I had that part diagnosed on one of my earlier visits and every time I go back to the dealership and say it is the same issue reoccurring they do nothing and say its fine. Well its NOT fine and hasn't been since I bought it.
I would say try folding down the seats and see what happens. As for the heat shield, get under the car yourself and check it out. You may have to bend the shit out of it to get it to quick rubbing or what every it is doing. If it is rubbing, you should see wear marks to where it is doing that. Then its just a matter of just cutting it out or bending it out of the way.

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Hi all. I'm brand new here and have been searching the web like crazy trying to find a solution to my problem. I purchased a 2012 Mazda3 and it now has under 7k miles on it and at around 4k I noticed a rattle coming from the back end. It seems to be louder in the passenger rear end. I do think I hear in both passenger and driver rear ends. I have now taken back to the dealership twice. Both times they did not hear the noise I am talking about. It sounds like a metallic rattle. I hear it mainly over uneven pavement. The dealership said they checked out the entire suspension and retighten anything that was loose. It is still there and no fix. It has been to the dealership twice. The one time, I road with the tech and it only made the noice once but he didn't hear it. But we only drove a few miles. I have lost my love for this car because this rattle is driving me crazy. What should I do because I'm about ready to trade this car in?
I put foam in my spare tire well, seemed to help abit..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I would say try folding down the seats and see what happens. As for the heat shield, get under the car yourself and check it out. You may have to bend the shit out of it to get it to quick rubbing or what every it is doing. If it is rubbing, you should see wear marks to where it is doing that. Then its just a matter of just cutting it out or bending it out of the way.

I actually don't where the heat shield would be banging into anything unless I'm missing something. I just looked under there. I'm wondering if it is actually a bad shock and the dealership didn't want to change it until after the warranty is up so they can charge me. It sounds like thin metal bouncing around against more metal and sometimes you hear the metal clunk.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Okay, a new update with the rattle. I have noticed it rattles far less when it is really cold. Like 25 degrees or less. The other day it was around 30-35 and it was rattling and I drove right over to the dealership. This time they removed the rear passenger hydraulic on the trunk and I have been driving around without it to see if that was it. Now, I examined this area myself and never saw anything loose or rattling before. Strangely though, it hasn't rattled in the last 5 days, but its been really cold. Cold like below 25 everyday. So, I will wait another few days to a week but I can't honestly believe that this is the problem causing the rattle. I'm convinced its in the shock area. But I'm so had it with this. I've spent much more time listening and trying to identify the source of the rattle then actually enjoying the car.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts