2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I dont see how a rattle counts as reliability

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature
It does in that this car only had about 4k miles on it when this strange rattle appeared. It sounds like metal rattling. Something sounds broken to me. It does effect reliability in that something wasn't built correctly from the start. I traded in a hyundai santa fe with 130k and never heard a creak, rattle or anything in that car. Best car I've ever owned. If it wasn't for the gas mileage I'd still be driving it. If this rattle is a known issue with Mazda 3s then Mazda should fix the issue. From the designing stage to it actually being built there is a flaw somewhere in the design to hear a noise like this. If this developed at say 100k miles it might be slightly more acceptable, but not at 4k. It was practically brand new when it appeared. And now over 3k later it is still doing it. This is just poor craftsmanship.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
THE RATTLE IN MY MAZDA 3 HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED!!!!

After a 3rd trip to the dealership to get them to find and fix the rattle in the back I can report the dealership says they found the rattle. They took a rubber mallet and hit the gas tank and there it was they said. They said a ballast or ballasts brought in the tank. They said they have to order fuel assembly part or parts and bring me back a fourth time for a day to install this. Sounds like its the fuel tank that is coming out. This car will never be the same after this. I've been doing a lot of research on this and it sounds like mazda has been having problems with detective fuel tanks for several years now. If not defective then its a quality issue. Seems like mazda never addressed the issue from years ago. Great quality control mazda. This is my first and last mazda. Worst new car experience ever. I could care less if the Mazda's have a little better road feel. Quality and reliability far surpasses that. Start building better cars.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
wait, so because you have some rattling because of a broken ballast in your tank, and because it has happened to other mazdas, the whole car is terrible and the whole company is terrible and you will never buy from them again?

good luck with other companies as well buddy

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
wait, so because you have some rattling because of a broken ballast in your tank, and because it has happened to other mazdas, the whole car is terrible and the whole company is terrible and you will never buy from them again?

good luck with other companies as well buddy
It's the Internet. Did you come in here and expect rational thought?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, if the poster intends to switch to Honda, I would suggest that they google "honda transmission failure" and see what comes up. This type of "research" would make any car company out there seem like they ply their trade in pushing lemons.

Fact of the matter is that cars in general are more reliable than ever. Can defects ever be entirely eliminated? Of course not, but the spread between the most reliable and least reliable makes has narrowed considerably over the past decade. The amusing thing about the internet is seeing a single defect getting conflated into a broad generalization about an entire car company. If anyone wants to generalize about a car company's reliability, they need a far bigger sample than a single car. JD Power, Consumer Reports, and True Delta all draw from thousands of survey responses, and the Mazda3 ranks very high on all of them.

Before going to a Mazda3, I drove an Acura Integra and clocked over 380k miles on it. Yes, the original engine and tranny were intact, but the car was far from perfect. That car had creaking noises of its own, and they were bad (AND common) enough to warrant a TSB that suggested jamming a shim into the rear suspension to quiet things down. Just in the first 100k miles, that car stranded me twice with ignition issues, and the cooling and AC systems had numerous failures over the years. Yes, Honda has a good reputation for reliability, but that doesn't mean that certain cars or certain models won't need unscheduled repairs.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well, part of it is simply just being aggravated by bringing the car to the dealership 3 times before they actually found the problem or so they say. I have read on other forums that someone had a similar complaint and the dealership removed and replaced the fuel tank and it still rattled after the new one is in. Which makes me worry that that wasn't actually the problem. I'll try to stay positive until after the work is finished and see if it is still rattling. It isn't just the rattle in the back. I have also developed an intermitten rattle in the dash. I cringe about having that ripped apart as well. But yes, I had a hyundai prior to this Mazda and that hyundai was rattle and creak free after 140k+ miles. A much higher quality vehicle in my opinion. I would still have it if it wasn't for the gas mileage. I also find it interesting how people always say it isn't a big deal...partly because it isn't THEIR car. I do have positive things to say about this car. It isn't all bashing. Gas mileage is great and the ride and handling are excellent. I just don't share the same feeling as others that this is high quality vehicle. I just don't hear or see it at this point.

·
Ian'sDGM3
26 Posts
I have this same noise. You really have to listen for it though. Sounds like light metal tinking/clanking/small metal tapping. I have a bigger noise in my transmission/engine mount area when its cold/first start of the day, then it goes away. I also have many dashboard noises, but I still like the car as I know other manufactures have glitches..etc. I did however solve my small noise problems on my car.. I turned on VAN HALEN and cranked the nice stereo it has! problem solved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a rattle from the right rear in my 2012 sedan I put some electrical tape around the two stops that kind of support the trunk lid right below the rear windshield left and right side and it seems to have taken care of it . The right stop was looser then the left one so that could have been it.Hope this can be of some help to you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
UPDATE:

My 3 had the entire fuel tank replaced. Dealer said they hit it with a rubber mallet to check it and sure enough a weld broke loose in the tank which was causing the rattling. The piece that broke was a piece that helps to prevent the gas from sloshing around in the tank.

Picked up the car after the tank was replaced. Drove it down the street and the rattling was clearly still there. Brought it back and they kept the car for several days more. They have since straightened out an aluminum heat shield they said was slightly bend near the fuel tank and possibly coming in contact with the sway bar. They then insulated the shock mounts near the car chasis. Have driven for one short drive so far and no noise. HOWEVER, the temps are warming outside and the noise was always occuring less when it was warm. I will give it more time and see what happens.

·
Registered
172 Posts
^ Indeed hopefully it is all taken care of now. Honestly, what really swayed me to the mazda3 over the civic is they continue to lack a 6th gear. It gets noisy on the highway, as I have drove both my old 6th gen ('97) and my dad's 8th gen civic ('10) and both rev to 3k+ around 70. The extra 500 rpm break from the extra gear is really nice to me. Long term reliability of both of essential components is similar as well. Hopefully you get to enjoy the 3 now and its otherwise awesome driving capabilities haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im having a rattling issue in my 2012 Mazda3s too. Rear passenger door actuator was replaced, still have a rattle coming from the trunk area and the driver side gauge cluster and door this will be my 3rd time back to the dealer for these issues.
Also, If you listen when you close the rear doors a rattle comes from the rear bumper. just my luck when i bing it to the dealer "they cant hear anything"

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have this same noise. You really have to listen for it though. Sounds like light metal tinking/clanking/small metal tapping. I have a bigger noise in my transmission/engine mount area when its cold/first start of the day, then it goes away. I also have many dashboard noises, but I still like the car as I know other manufactures have glitches..etc. I did however solve my small noise problems on my car.. I turned on VAN HALEN and cranked the nice stereo it has! problem solved.
I have that same engine/transmission mount noise also, but only when it is cold. Brought it to the dealer and I couldnt replicate because it was too warm out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2012 M3 sedan, I have checked all the same places you've checked, it almost sounds like a nut is coming loose from a bolt. The dealer told me the same thing, either they don't hear it, or they just don't care. I am seriously considering trading it in for a Honda, the road noise mixed with the rattle is almost too much to handle. I love the car but it's getting to be crazy annoying.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've mentioned it before, but I have the dash rattle around the front vent area. It's very temperature sensitive. It was mild out today, and the rattle was persistent as I drove. I then parked the car in direct sunlight for 5 minutes, then drove off with no rattle at all. Getting the car interior to above average temperatures makes the parts expand, thus eliminating the rattle.

I phoned two different Mazda dealers asking if they had any knowledge or experience with this dash rattle. They said no, they never heard of it. I then asked how difficult is it to get access to the front vent area from beneath. They were both hesitant to answer that question, and never really did.

When I bought the 2013 model, I expected these types of things to have been totally worked out. Unfortunately, they haven't.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts