2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4-Door manual. ~Two weeks ago I had my regular 5k mile oil change (car has ~45k miles on it), tire rotation, multi-point inspection maintenance. Starting this Monday however I noticed that my RPMs have been spiking about 1k higher than normal. Today, this was compounded with a drastic reduction in power.

While in cruise control, going 60 mph (sixth gear), my RPMs stay at about 2.5k, which is the norm since I've owned the car. However, as soon as I hit an incline on the highway they spike to about 4.5k.

Also, at the recommendation of the dealership I bought the car from, I had the 30k transmission flush done, this was 15k miles ago however.

Am I screwed here?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd find it hard to believe that your transmission flush would be the cause of this. 15k miles for me would be around a year ago. You would think a problem would have surfaced before now.

Other than oil change what did they physically touch during the multi-point inspection?

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
What kind of a manual car can "spike" RPM's like you describe? That seriously sounds like the clutch isn't engaged.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dang, 45k is pretty fast for a clutch to go out. Are you the original owner? Were you hard on the clutch? Any signs of it going out prior to it slipping?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts