2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
They are pretty loud and have terrible treadlife. Also, they are terrible in rain or snow. Everytime the road is wet, I lose grip way too often. Go on tirerack.com and check out the survey results for the Bridgestone Turanzas EL400-02 (I'm assuming you have the same oem tire).
Bridgestone*Turanza EL400-02
This is my biggest concern as I live in Wisconsin. I was talking about sliding in rain btw not on dry pavement. I have to punch it to make them slide on dry pavement.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm really thinking of getting new tires for mine. The stock ones seem to slip a decent amount, I just can't get over the hump of purchasing new tires for a car with < 5k miles :p

Someone tell me it's a good idea :D.

Anyone that is sitting on the fence concerning replacing tires on a low mileage Mazda3, might want to consider that their current OEM treads are still worth some money as trade-ins, or resales. Call your local tire shop and ask about their trade-in policy. The 205/55/16 is a popular size, so you might find a buyer for them on Craigs List. I feel it was worth every penny when I pulled the EL400-02's off my car and replaced them with a good quality all-season product. My ride is now a lot more comfortable, quieter, and responsive. I could not imagine a couple years, or so, on the factory Bridgestones. I know some say that it is a waste of money to replace oem tires so early in a cars life, or to just drive slower and more cautious. But it is the other drivers on the road we have to watch out for, as well. Swerving suddenly to avoid their careless driving moves, having to do panic stops, especially on wet roads to avoid their careless actions...etc. If you think the stock tires suck now, wait until you have an emergency avoidance situation. Just saying.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Never even considered tire shops having a trade-in policy. Thanks for that advice.

––––––––––––––––––––––––
1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
2012 Mazdaspeed 3

·
Registered
80 Posts
Never even considered tire shops having a trade-in policy. Thanks for that advice.

––––––––––––––––––––––––
1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
2012 Mazdaspeed 3
Your welcome.
I know Discount Tire and Americas Tire both give trade-in credit for used tires if the trade-ins are still fairly new (within a few thousand miles I was told when I traded mine). I don't know about other companies.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I traded in my squishy, thin EL 400's for $55 a piece at american tires, I drove 800 miles on them before the trade in, and pretty much strait traded them (plus $80) for the new Hankook V2's . The stock tires that come on these cars are really terrible, and at their current trade in value, its almost a must! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll tell you what, though. They're no good for ice. I kind of sort of rear ended my wife the other day. No damage, fortunately, but I did screw up my front license plate. I need snow tires, but they're sooooo expensive.

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
I'll tell you what, though. They're no good for ice. I kind of sort of rear ended my wife the other day. No damage, fortunately, but I did screw up my front license plate. I need snow tires, but they're sooooo expensive.
I've heard a lot (I mean A LOT) of people praising Continental DWS for its capability in snow. Also Kumho Ecsta 4X and General G-Max 03 get positive reviews for their decent snow traction, and are also even cheaper than DWS. I haven't had a first-hand experience with them, but you may be interested since they aren't priced to break your bank in million pieces.

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
I recently got DWS tires on my car last week, but since I live in Texas and snow is a rare thing, I don't know if I will ever use the S part of that equation. If I do then i will report back on how they fair.

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
lol, how are they so far? If you didn't need all seasons should have got some Ventus V12's mane.
A lot smoother ride, like a LOT.
Traction has improved a lot better also. And decided on these from the warranty, ratings, and price point I got when I bought them.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
A lot smoother ride, like a LOT.
Traction has improved a lot better also. And decided on these from the warranty, ratings, and price point I got when I bought them.
Good glad you are enjoying them! What kind of price did you get? Dad got the DWS after I recommended them on his ride and he said the same things.

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
Good glad you are enjoying them! What kind of price did you get? Dad got the DWS after I recommended them on his ride and he said the same things.
$127.00 each tire.

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
Well... That's a very nice deal lol. Wish I could get em that cheap but I find 45 to small for a 17" wheel and 225 is too wide for a 6.5 wheel.
Have you seen my pictures of my new set up? Pretty much perfect to me.

·
Mazdaspeed 3 owner
230 Posts
Just to chip in here, I have a 2012 Mazda 3 i-Touring 4 door Skyactiv. Needless to say, I love it. I wrecked my 2012 Kia Rio 5 and got this. Fuel economy was the biggest factor in buying the Rio at 40 MPG. After I totaled it, I test drove the 3 and never looked back. Getting 40 MPG with that much "zoom-zoom"? Hell to the yeah! So far I've installed a SRI from CorkSport and there's a slight but noticeable increase in fuel economy and HP. I'm waiting on the next check to order an exhaust but after that, I think I may be done with any more engine stuff. There's really only so much you can do with a 2.0L that isn't wasting time and money. From then on I plan on just appearance and handling. For those of you who have RM springs, does that cause any significant wear to the OEM shocks? I'm not really prepared to spend all the money for a coil over kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012 Mazda 3 i Touring - Rough ride?

Hey all :) Here's my story: I had a white automatic 2012 i Touring (no SkyActiv) for 6 months. Someone hit me and the car was totaled (I was devastated :crybaby 1:). I was tight on money but went back to the dealer and they were able to get me back into the same car at the same payments. I didn't think to go for another test drive; I had already had the car for 6 months, why test drive it again? When they pulled the car up and I saw the inside and I noticed it was a bit different. I didn't get the same car, I got the new SkyActiv version. They didn't even know I had the model without SkyActiv. Great, right?! Better gas mileage, some new features... but I'm noticing some things that didn't happen in the old one that really bother me.

I understand that the engine is different, but I've been noticing some things I feel shouldn't be happening. I'm no car expert, so I'll explain as best as I can :)

I drive the same highway to work that I drove with the old one, yet for some reason now I feel a pretty constant vibration in my seat as if I'm going over a semi uneven road. I've had passengers who have felt it too. It didn't happen ALL the time, so I put it off as the car needing to be broken in. However, its a few months later and 2500+ miles and it's still happening.

Also, in stop and go traffic -- as light as I am on the gas and break the car seems to jerk A LOT. I consider myself a very smooth driver to begin with, and being even more careful about the pressure on the gas/break doesn't help the jerking. As I said I'm no car expert, but it kind of feels like the car has absolutely no idea which gear to be in.

I've tried to debug all of the issues...I've shifted manually and it works very smoothly, so I don't think its a gear issue. I love listening to loud music but the vibration happens with or without music blasting.

Both issues were ever an issue in my old non-SkyActiv model. I LOVED that car, I'm not joking when I say I had 0 complaints about it. I gave in and took it to the dealer a few weeks ago. They told me the car runs beautifully and that there is absolutely nothing wrong.

Am I just not used to the new SkyActiv engine or have you guys noticed/heard of any of these issues? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it :)

161 - 180 of 206 Posts