2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Hey all :) Here's my story: I had a white automatic 2012 i Touring (no SkyActiv) for 6 months. Someone hit me and the car was totaled (I was devastated :crybaby 1:). I was tight on money but went back to the dealer and they were able to get me back into the same car at the same payments. I didn't think to go for another test drive; I had already had the car for 6 months, why test drive it again? When they pulled the car up and I saw the inside and I noticed it was a bit different. I didn't get the same car, I got the new SkyActiv version. They didn't even know I had the model without SkyActiv. Great, right?! Better gas mileage, some new features... but I'm noticing some things that didn't happen in the old one that really bother me.

I understand that the engine is different, but I've been noticing some things I feel shouldn't be happening. I'm no car expert, so I'll explain as best as I can :)

I drive the same highway to work that I drove with the old one, yet for some reason now I feel a pretty constant vibration in my seat as if I'm going over a semi uneven road. I've had passengers who have felt it too. It didn't happen ALL the time, so I put it off as the car needing to be broken in. However, its a few months later and 2500+ miles and it's still happening.

Also, in stop and go traffic -- as light as I am on the gas and break the car seems to jerk A LOT. I consider myself a very smooth driver to begin with, and being even more careful about the pressure on the gas/break doesn't help the jerking. As I said I'm no car expert, but it kind of feels like the car has absolutely no idea which gear to be in.

I've tried to debug all of the issues...I've shifted manually and it works very smoothly, so I don't think its a gear issue. I love listening to loud music but the vibration happens with or without music blasting.

Both issues were ever an issue in my old non-SkyActiv model. I LOVED that car, I'm not joking when I say I had 0 complaints about it. I gave in and took it to the dealer a few weeks ago. They told me the car runs beautifully and that there is absolutely nothing wrong.

Am I just not used to the new SkyActiv engine or have you guys noticed/heard of any of these issues? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it :)
Did you go from a manual to an automatic by chance?

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Seven02: Good, I'm glad you haven't had any issues!

@[email protected]: Nope, both cars were automatic.

I'm perfectly open to the idea that I'm just not used to this engine. Aside from these issues I'm in love with the car, I definitely don't want anything to be wrong with it. Just figured I'd see if it was just me or if anyone else had the issues!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey all :) Here's my story: I had a white automatic 2012 i Touring (no SkyActiv) for 6 months . . . I didn't get the same car, I got the new SkyActiv version.
IIRC, all 2012 i Touring models had the skyactiv engine as the only option.

·
DIY PRO
1,036 Posts
The vibration is not normal. Try switching the tires from back to front and front to back see if it changes.
The jerking is normal. To help reduce the jerkyness. As you noticed use manual in stop and go traffic if you don't want to. wait a second when you take your foot off the brake and go to gas. Give the transmission a second to engage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How loud is everyone's Skyactiv? Mine's quite noisy and is always ticking. If I'm ever outside the vehicle while it's running its very noticable. Maybe because I run premium? It doesn't bother me I know its just how these engines are. Does anyone have over 4k on the AT transmission? I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have any issues. My Transmission pan will need to be replaced its got a couple dents and scuffs. Planing on replacing it when I do the Fluid and filter.

·
Mazdaspeed 3 owner
230 Posts
How loud is everyone's Skyactiv? Mine's quite noisy and is always ticking. If I'm ever outside the vehicle while it's running its very noticable. Maybe because I run premium? It doesn't bother me I know its just how these engines are. Does anyone have over 4k on the AT transmission? I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have any issues. My Transmission pan will need to be replaced its got a couple dents and scuffs. Planing on replacing it when I do the Fluid and filter.
I have the A/T and I'm not quite at 4000 yet but it's close. Before the intake I did notice a difference in engine noise opposed to my Rio but I liked it. And obviously the engine noise increased after the SRI. Even since the test drive the engine has always been alot louder for about 15-20 seconds on a cold start. I can't say I've noticed any ticking but I haven't listened too closely. I'll listen after I get off today.

·
Registered
570 Posts
14k on my skyactiv A/T and mine has no ticking or roughness at all. Just the annoying loud cold startup.

·
Mazdaspeed 3 owner
230 Posts
Update from earlier. If I listen really closely at idle, I can definitely hear a ticking sound. It's nothing prominent and it does sound like injectors. The big 16 cylinders I work with at work have it only on a much bigger scale and its injectors there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah mine is just the injectors. Good to hear, you have 14k on the AT and its been trouble free. Do you know what year and month yours was made?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yeah mine is just the injectors. Good to hear, you have 14k on the AT and its been trouble free. Do you know what year and month yours was made?
I think it was 11/2011. Only complaint I've had is with a dash rattle, which the dealer couldn't fix. I ended up fixing myself it in 5 mins after I got back from the dealership.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought my skyactiv 2 months ago and it currently has 8,500 miles on it, everything is great....apart from the freaking dash rattle, it sounds like its coming from the front middle speaker, no idea how to fix it though. Been like that since about 5,000 miles.

·
3 Pedals of fun!
498 Posts
I bought my skyactiv 2 months ago and it currently has 8,500 miles on it, everything is great....apart from the freaking dash rattle, it sounds like its coming from the front middle speaker, no idea how to fix it though. Been like that since about 5,000 miles.
Did you buy the car with miles on it or did you drive that much in 2 months?

·
Registered
570 Posts
How did you fix the dash rattle?
I just applied some pressure to the lower dash panel (under the steering column), enough to slightly bend the sheetmetal on the back side of the plastic, eliminating the rattle.

I pounded all over the place with the side of my fist to find the rattle, though!

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
I just applied some pressure to the lower dash panel (under the steering column), enough to slightly bend the sheetmetal on the back side of the plastic, eliminating the rattle.

I pounded all over the place with the side of my fist to find the rattle, though!
Good to know this, mine rattles every once in a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The vibration is not normal. Try switching the tires from back to front and front to back see if it changes.
The jerking is normal. To help reduce the jerkyness. As you noticed use manual in stop and go traffic if you don't want to. wait a second when you take your foot off the brake and go to gas. Give the transmission a second to engage.
I plan on getting my oil changed soon (dealer said the first one is on them) so I'll have them switch the tires too and see if that makes a difference. And I'll definitely try your tip about traffic, I'll letcha know if it makes a difference!

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I kinda fiigured I had made a good purchase with the Mazda3 Skyactiv. And now that insideline has reached the one year mark, and just over 20,000 miles; they appropriately title their farewell report "Goodbye To A Great Car" as they handed the keys back to Mazda.

2012 Mazda 3: Goodbye To A Great Car

181 - 200 of 206 Posts