2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback. Bought it used at 66k miles and now has 110k on it. I’ve driven and taken care of it the past 3 years and it’s worked GREAT. However in October it broke down. I was driving to work and the engine revved up and then wouldn’t go forward anymore. I pulled over and my check engine light was on, AT light and traction light. Got it towed to dealership. The next day they call and say I need a new transmission but then two days later they’re driving it around and tell me to come get it. Two months go by without another problem. Driving around one day it revved up and wouldn’t go farward, all the lights turn on but this time I just pull over put it in park and restart it and it works again. This has happened Twice. The dealership and aamco can’t figure it out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could be more of an electrical issue rather than a problem with the actual transmission. I'm no mechanic, but I believe these modern transmissions need a brain to tell it when to shift etc. I had something similar happen when I owned a 2012 VW Jetta. Could be faulty wiring?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Do you have access to a diagnostic tool to see if there are any stored codes? You might have a Transmission Control Module issue. I don't for sure if your model has a TCM or not. My son's '07 Grand Touring model (2.3L) has a TCM, while my daughter's '07 i model (2.0L) does not. My son's TCM went out. Car was drivable, but weird, occasionally not able to shift passed 3rd gear. The new TCM fixed everything. Sometime it ran just fine and drove normally for days at a time.

My other son has a Ford Focus. Ironically his TCM also went out. However, in his Ford the bad TCM made the car virtually undriveable. So it all depends on how much the auto manufacturer wants the TCM to control.

If your's is bad, they are a good DIY project, and shop around online for good prices. If you let the dealer replace it, it'll be super expensive. We were quoted $1100. $700 for the part, $400 for labor. Found the TCM module online for around $450, took my son about 3 hours to replace it without my help - and that was his first real car project. He wants to know if his labor is worth $133/hr and I'm like yeah right go clean your room.

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is unrelated to your problem but has relevance to your vehicle's health. Replace the fluid and filter per the prescribed intervals in the maintenance schedule, and ONLY use Mazda recommended transmission fluid. It does not have to be Mazda brand, but has to be the proper type.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback. Bought it used at 66k miles and now has 110k on it. I’ve driven and taken care of it the past 3 years and it’s worked GREAT. However in October it broke down. I was driving to work and the engine revved up and then wouldn’t go forward anymore. I pulled over and my check engine light was on, AT light and traction light. Got it towed to dealership. The next day they call and say I need a new transmission but then two days later they’re driving it around and tell me to come get it. Two months go by without another problem. Driving around one day it revved up and wouldn’t go farward, all the lights turn on but this time I just pull over put it in park and restart it and it works again. This has happened Twice. The dealership and aamco can’t figure it out. Any ideas?
Echoing other thoughts posted in this feed, this is probably a total long shot. My friend who has a 2012 Hatchback and was having issues with being unable to start the car. Dead. No life. They were advised it was probably a battery terminal that was loose. While driving at high speed recently the steering locked up and a few lights illuminated. Steering became difficult but they managed to drive it to the Mazda dealership. Turned out that the battery cables were shot. It was a small cost to repair. Again - long shot but as we know these cars are super-computers on wheels and any interruption with the power supply can trigger so many different problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts