2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am a noob and please forgive me if I sound stupid.

A week ago while exiting the parking lot I hit a curb with my front right tire and I hit it again the next day, same spot. The car started pulling to the left. Took the car to a Canadian Tire wanting to get an alignment. The Tech called me and told me the right strut has no oil so need to change it before alignment. So I agreed. Then he told me the brakes were worn out and the metal is almost showing. That I did not believe since I had a brake check done a few months ago and it still had 5-6 mm. One and a half years ago I got another done and the brakes were at 8 mm. So then I realize he might be trying to pull a fast one on me. And I told him not to do the brakes. Got the new struts and alignment though. But the car still pulls to the left over 80 kmph (lesser than it did, but still pulls). Slower speeds, it's okay. Going to take the car to them again to check the alignment and maybe rotating the tires. Posting my alignment results. Any suggestions? Like maybe rotating the tires? Is the alignment okay? I hope there are no worn out components. Camber on the left front is -0.6 degrees

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Took the car to a Canadian Tire

that was your first mistake. anyone that cares about their car even a little should never visit CT for their maintenance shop. remember, CT pays their techs lowest dollar. as a result, the very few qualified techs they get are total hack jobs (usually). to further save money, they only hire a couple qualified mechanics. the rest are usually something along the lines of students who are 'directed' by the mechanic to do a job.

don't go back to Canadian Tire. cut your losses and go to a real shop. i allow them to do one thing for me. i will allow them to balance tires or install them on wheels and they do not get to touch my car. i drop the wheels off and pick them up when they're done and then give them a thorough inspection.

Hello Everyone,

I am a noob and please forgive me if I sound stupid.

A week ago while exiting the parking lot I hit a curb with my front right tire and I hit it again the next day, same spot. The car started pulling to the left. Took the car to a Canadian Tire wanting to get an alignment. The Tech called me and told me the right strut has no oil so need to change it before alignment. So I agreed.

if the strut was leaking oil due to the impact of the curb, you hit it hard. very hard. a strut that is still structurally intact but lost its seal will actually not affect alignment. it certainly won't do its job in handling and it'll probably rattle to no end. so that tells us that you may have bent the strut. if you did that, its very possible that you have something else going on such as a damaged control arm. exactly what is impossible to say without inspection. again, trusting a CT tech to this is a bad idea.

Then he told me the brakes were worn out and the metal is almost showing. That I did not believe since I had a brake check done a few months ago and it still had 5-6 mm. One and a half years ago I got another done and the brakes were at 8 mm. So then I realize he might be trying to pull a fast one on me. And I told him not to do the brakes.

brakes will not affect alignment but can cause some pulling to one side if you have a stuck caliper. why did you think he was lying? i'm obviously not a fan of CT techs, but you really don't have any reason to believe he was lying here. did you see the brakes? if you did not then you don't really know. what the thickness was a year and a half ago is irrelevant. your calipers, rotors and pads are not in the same condition they were then. furthermore, 5mm 'a few months ago' is already getting pretty close to service limit.

Got the new struts and alignment though. But the car still pulls to the left over 80 kmph (lesser than it did, but still pulls). Slower speeds, it's okay. Going to take the car to them again to check the alignment and maybe rotating the tires. Posting my alignment results. Any suggestions? Like maybe rotating the tires? Is the alignment okay? I hope there are no worn out components. Camber on the left front is -0.6 degrees

View attachment 276902
my suggestion is what it was before. take your car to a competent shop. alignment is a job that has to be done with a high level of care and precision. i too have experienced a shop that can't get it right and it is very frustrating. i can see that you're slightly outside of the specified range and that is likely due to minor damage. you may not be able to see it easily if at all. i'd suggest reading up on what these numbers mean. here's one suggestion:
Understanding Wheel Alignment

unless you have a tire that is abnormally worn, why would a rotation help? by the way, an tire that is worn abnormally will cause a car to pull to one side easily. but you also don't get that from hitting a curb.

FYI since it's CT that did the strut, i wouldn't count on them to have done it right or to have installed a quality part. probably a Monroe, i never did like those much. for aftermarket direct replacement i personally go with KYB. but that's besides the point. i'm guessing that they only replaced ONE strut - the damaged one. usually not a good idea. each strut will respond and perform slightly differently. tiny differences in manufacturing, design, etc. so now you have one strut on each side with different performance specifications....see the problem?

this is an older car. let a real mechanic see if there is anything obvious. a good alignment shop can also compensate for minor suspension damage and get it driving right again. this i have also experienced. once i found the right shop it turned out well.

finally, some general advice. with car repair it is often a logical process of elimination. you're making assumptions and if the brakes really are worn down that could be dangerous. assume is spelled ASS U ME because it makes an ass out of you and me. don't be afraid to ask shops to show you things like brakes and other damage. any shop worth anything will do so. also on the other end of the spectrum, don't get into replacing parts without some proof that this is the problem. replacing parts on a hunch is about as good as tossing a wrench at the car and hoping that'll fix it.

let us know what happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts