2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't change the in-call volume on my phone (Verizon Galaxy S3). So I have to turn the volume all the way up on the Mazda BT to hear the call. When the hang-up occurs, the BEE-BOOP sound is deafening.

I'm using the volume buttons, and on the phone screen it shows the BT volume icon and slider going all the way up, but the volume thru the Mazda is unchanged.

Same thing occurs with my wife's Incredible 2. I adjust the BT in-call volume up and down, but there is no effect on the actual volume.

Both phones ARE able to adjust the BT in-call volume on a BlueAnt ST3 unit, so I know the phones are OK.

Suprisingly, for music streaming, I *am* able to adjust the music volume on the phone. But not the in-call volume.

Does anyone else have this same inability with their phone in the 2012 Mazda 3? Or can someone try this out?

Thanks for your help,
Tony

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome to a Samsung Android phone. I have the exact same issue with my S2. My HTC Evo 4G didn't do it, and from researching on the XDA forums it's a known issue with Samsung software.

Or, maybe the real root cause is the BT stack in our car causes some compatibility issues. Either way, it annoys the sheeit out of me, and the beep actually hurts my ears (very sensitive ears at that frequency) so in the end my hand is on the volume knob...not so hands free.

The S2 will be my last Sammy phone. Planning on going back to Verizon when my contract ends and getting a Moto phone...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife's HTC Incredible 2 has the same problem, so apparently it's not just Samsung. Interesting your HTC Evo didn't have the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, my Samsung can adjust volume fine with a different BT module. I has to be Mazda + certain phones.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agreed...although to be honest I don't know if my Evo 4G would actually affect the volume, but it was loud enough that I didn't have to turn my stereo up to 40-50 to be able to hear people, so I might never have tried.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so I just bought a 2011 3S GT and I'm experiencing the low volume issue with the phone. I have an HTC dinc 2 and it works great in my 2007 CX9. Also, no issues with streaming music, although if I watch video on my phone while connected to BT there is a delay in the sound. I have used my dinc 2 with numerous other BT systems, including a 2012 Mazda 3 (I rent cars a lot for work) and did not have this issue. Arghhh!

·
Free Tibet! Today Only!!
914 Posts
bluetooth has a sound delay for music/video playback.

Make a call using the car. Once it starts ringing or as soon as the call begins to connect, raise the volume on the stereo or steering wheel. The volume WILL go up. You can only adjust volume during a call.

·
Registered
87 Posts
No, the volume is simply too low. For many phones, you have to turn up the volume on the stereo to 45+ to hear it reasonably well. Like I said before, my Evo 4G did not have this issue. When I went to the Samsung Galaxy S2, there it was. Have run the phone on Gingerbread and now have ICS...still there.

Please do not confuse this with the delay. Totally different. Once again, I think the shitty BT module is the root cause of the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solution to this problem

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but this problem about bluetooth audio volume/Mazda beep volume was driving me crazy on my new 2012 iTouring.

Here are the problems I had:
1. When listening to Bluetooth audio music at decent volumes, the incoming call notification was deafening/frightening.
2. When ending a call at normal volumes, the beep was deafening.

For reference, I use a Samsung Galaxy S (Fascinate) and a Samsung Galaxy S2 (Epic 4g Touch), and I have the Bose audio system. This solution should work with all relatively modern Android phones.

Here's the solution I found to both problems.

It's an app available on Google Play called A2DP Volume. Basically, this developer has found ways to adjust Bluetooth settings to which we casual users have no access. You'll need to do some reading on his website to understand the setup, but it's nothing a casual Android user won't be able to figure out.

As it stands now, the sound of Bluetooth audio music is pretty loud when the car's volume meter is at 20 (I used to have to keep it much higher). The incoming call notification is at or below the level of the music now, and the beeps are very mild. As an added benefit, I've set it up to read incoming text messages out loud through the stereo.

The app is open source with no ads whatsoever.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's an interesting app.

I tried playing with it, but it didn't seem to work quite like I expected.

You obviously select "Mazda" and then click "Edit"

Now, that I'm somewhat confused by is where you have your Media volume bar set and the In-call Phone volume set. In general we want to leave the Mazda stereo setup set pretty close to say 20ish so the beep isn't brutal. You'd want the media volume over bluetooth to be high, but you'd also want the In-call set as high as possible as well, no?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts