2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I just bought a 2012 Skyactiv Mazda3 Hatchback. It only came with one keyfob/key, so I'm going to buy some more. I see that some have 3 buttons (like mine) and others have 4 buttons. The fourth button being for the trunk of the sedan I think?

Will that button work to unlock the hatchback, or is the procedure just to unlock the doors and then open the hatch manually? I fully understand that the hatch will not open itself like a spring-loaded trunk in the sedan.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
Hi everybody!

I just bought a 2012 Skyactiv Mazda3 Hatchback. It only came with one keyfob/key, so I'm going to buy some more. I see that some have 3 buttons (like mine) and others have 4 buttons. The fourth button being for the trunk of the sedan I think?

Will that button work to unlock the hatchback, or is the procedure just to unlock the doors and then open the hatch manually? I fully understand that the hatch will not open itself like a spring-loaded trunk in the sedan.
Forum search results:

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums...v-discussion/16762-replacement-key-cheap.html

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-67.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MrBen!

I had already read that first link. The second link seems like it's just a non-formatted version of the entire "2010-2013 Mazda 3 & Skyactiv Discussion" forum.

That doesn't actually answer my question though.

Last night I was reading through the owners manual and it appears that the 4-button only works on the sedan. The 3 button works on the 5-door. I'm slightly tempted to buy one of the 4-buttons just to test it out, but first things first. If I do that, I'll report back. I have a suspicion that the 4-button will work just fine on the 5-door, but the trunk button won't do anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a pair of keys on amazon and had them cut and programmed at a local lockshop that specializes in autos. I think I paid $150 for the service. They copied one key from the one that came with the car and they cut the other using the actual tumbler bit numbers. They keys look a lot different from each other, but both work fine.

Interestingly enough, while both aftermarket (amazon) keys worked in the ignition, neither unlocked the door. I mean, by putting the key in the lock on the door itself. From careful inspection and comparisons, it appeared that the aftermarket keys were a tad bit longer. I used a file and trimmed some of the tips off. I did this a little at a time and then bingo... they started unlocking the door. They still worked in the ignition.

If you get aftermarket keys and they don't work inside the door, that might be your problem, and it's an easy fix. Just be sure to file off a little at a time. My one key is slightly too short, so if I push the key all the way in, it doesn't want to turn until I pull it out just a gnat's hair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts