2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2012 GS-SKY Front Caliper Siezed

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike C 
#1 ·
I believe the front passenger caliper has seized. I have brand new pads and rotors (2 months old). There's a metal on metal grinding noise that started at the end of my recent drive (yesterday).:

On Saturday before this happened the mechanic took this brake apart to bleed the line because of the discoloration on the center of the rotor and discovered the caliper does not fully retract. He bled the line and put it back. I attached a photo of the rotor. There is an obvious dark line in the center.

On Sunday )the next day) the drive was normal until the last 10 minutes home where the grinding started but it wasn't consistent. It was quick on and off sound while I let the car roll. When I turned right the sound stopped. then when i drove straight and let it roll it came back.

Am I right to assume the caliper is seized? Mazda wants $196 for a new caliper and $200 to install it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If they are seized, two possible option. Assuming the brake jobs has been properly done: Line is clogged or Caliper needs rebuild or change. Bleed it and if you see fluid coming out quick, then you need to change the caliper. If the fluid comes out pretty slowly and like its clogged, then change the line. On those cars, a caliper last 5 to 7 years if you are on rust prone area. I'm at my second on all 4 wheels and I have a 2012 gs-sky like yours.

#3 ·
Definitely looks like something is sticking. What do the pads look like?

If you know how to bleed brakes, replacing a caliper is easy and could save you that labor cost.

If you are short on cash you can try and rebuild the caliper.

Bottom line, you have a braking problem that needs fixing. Your pads and rotor may already be ruined and the longer you wait to fix the braking issue the more likely you will also be paying for new rotors and pads as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.