2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2011 Mazda 3 with the 2.5L, 6-speed transmission. I have an issue where when I'm releasing from first gear from a dead stop there is vibration/metal grinding noise coming from somewhere under the driver side floor. This happens the worst in 1st gear, but is also audible in reverse but to a lesser degree. You can physically feel this vibration/grinding and it is audible to both the driver and passengers. Took it to the Mazda dealer today, who agreed it sounded like some sort of vibration from the engine or exhaust when releasing the clutch in first gear.

So we test drove another 6-speed manual Mazda 3 and it did the exact same thing. So they said not to worry about it, it was normal. To me, just because another car does it does not make it "normal."

Has anyone else heard of this issue or actually experienced it? Its a little difficult to describe, but it makes driving the car painful...like I'm slowly destroying something every time I release the clutch and start moving out of 1st gear. Is this something I should worry about or just accept it and move on?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow dude I have the same exact problem on my 2011 S Sport. It only happens to me on 1st and reverse but never while shifting into the other gears. I did notice if i take of on 1st w/o acceleration then give her throttle it doesnt do the vibration. My dealer says it normal but would not explain what exactly it is.

Let me know if you hear anything !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I also figured out you can work around it by releasing the clutch differently but I shouldnt have to do that. I'm taking it back to the dealer next week and let them know that just because they ALL do it, doesnt mean its okay. No other cars make that noise. The dealer says its a vibration but makes no attempt to fix it? Seems bizarre to me :001_unsure:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2011 Mazda 3 with the 2.5L, 6-speed transmission. I have an issue where when I'm releasing from first gear from a dead stop there is vibration/metal grinding noise coming from somewhere under the driver side floor. This happens the worst in 1st gear, but is also audible in reverse but to a lesser degree. You can physically feel this vibration/grinding and it is audible to both the driver and passengers. Took it to the Mazda dealer today, who agreed it sounded like some sort of vibration from the engine or exhaust when releasing the clutch in first gear.

So we test drove another 6-speed manual Mazda 3 and it did the exact same thing. So they said not to worry about it, it was normal. To me, just because another car does it does not make it "normal."

Has anyone else heard of this issue or actually experienced it? Its a little difficult to describe, but it makes driving the car painful...like I'm slowly destroying something every time I release the clutch and start moving out of 1st gear. Is this something I should worry about or just accept it and move on?

Thanks for any help!
I just took my car to the dealership today, they've had it all day, and they just told me that it's the plate engaging and disengaging, and it's a common noise, and nothing is going to break. I hear the grinding mainly when i'm at a dead stop facing uphill, and once it balances, the grinding noise that you are explaining occurs. so after reading people say the same thing, i feel pretty safe about it.

(i created a profile just to reply to this)

·
Hella-gone
416 Posts
From Edmunds.com review of the 2010 Maxda3 2.5l 6sp
2010 Mazda MAZDA3 s Grand Touring Road Test
The Mazda 3 s features the bigger of two four-cylinder engines (a 148-horsepower 2.0-liter is found in the 3i), increased in size for 2010 to 2.5 liters and 167 hp (up from 2.3 liters and 156 hp). Our test car came with the standard six-speed manual, a rewarding transmission with an easy clutch and a precise shifter. It works well with the robust four-cylinder, although the initial take-off from 1st gear elicited a rather agricultural groan.

·
FNG
25 Posts
I notice the same noise (and I can feel some vibration through the clutch pedal) when starting from a stop in 1st. If I feather the clutch a bit, I don't have the issue, but I don't care to add undue wear to the clutch disk if I don't have to. Anyway, seems like it's "normal" and I'd think it has something to do with either the clutch disk, release bearing, flywheel friction surface, or some combination of those. Only way to know if something was machined incorrectly or if something is not wearing correctly is to drop the trans and look at the clutch. :(

BTW, mine has been doing it since we picked the car up, new. I recall a similar issue with our P5, but I got so used to it that I hardly noticed it (plus that car is much noisier than the 3); however I probably put 170k miles on that clutch and it was still going strong (replaced it at 20k or so with an OEM MP3 clutch due to the clutch shutter issue).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a 2011 Mazda 3 GT 6-Speed and I find the sound to be annoying. I had a 2008 accord with 60K on it and it started to make that grinding noise on an incline, turned out it was the pressure plate and Honda replaced it under warranty and the noise went away.
Do anyone also get a wining sound in first gear while accelerating? Is that normal?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, all.

I'm happy I came across this thread. I just picked up my 2012 3sGT 6-speed and have less than 1k miles on it. I had on '08 sGT 5 speed prior to this.

Since day one I noticed this same 'grinding'. It was just different than the '08. I couldn't exactly tell what was wrong, if anything. It just didn't sound "right", and I was starting to think about taking it back to the dealer to have it looked at.

But now seeing this thread, it does seem that it's normal sounds, and that it's been part of the design since 2010. I feel better about it now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grinding noise

I have the exact grinding/squealing sound coming from my clutch too. . I have taken it in about 6 times and like everyone is saying. Mazda claims that it is normal. I still continued to big them about it though and they told me that if I get a second opinion from a different company then corporate might give them the thumbs up to fix it. I'm extremely irritated with them at the moment. Even a person who knows nothing about cars can tell you it's not normal at all. But I'm thinking I'm going to take it to another dealership. And if that doesn't work honestly I don't know what can be done. I have gotten a formal letter from Hine Mazda saying they told me that it is safe to drive the car and it will not damage anything. So in case it does I have a letter proving they guarenteed me that everything was perfect with it. I don't appreciate buying a brand new car and two days later taking it in for "problems". So I hope something could be done. :argh 1:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Normal.

I have 31k on my '10 2.5/6 speed and it has done this since day one and I am still going strong on original everything. Either mine has disappeared or I have grown used to it.

Don't know if Mazda uses dual mass flywheels. Both my Volkswagens ('03 Golf and '06 Jetta) showed the same trait of rattling/grinding sounds when releasing the clutch in 1st, I learned it was due to the dual mass flywheel. Flywheel was mounted to the crank with springs (heavy duty mind you) connecting the friction plate and the mounting plate which is meant to reduce vibration from the engine making its way through the driveline. There were many reports of early dual mass flywheel failures over the years but I managed to do a cool 75k on both my Volkswagens without a clutch failure...........unfortunately by that time everything but the chassis and drivetrain on my Volkswagens were failing at an alarming rate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai has similar noise

Hey guys, I came across this forum looking for the answer to the same problem. But I'm driving a 2012 six speed Elantra. I've got less than 10K miles on it and started noticing a scraping sound when starting from a stop in 1st gear. I've got an appointment to see the dealer tomorrow. If I hear anything different, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a 2015 3sT with a 6 speed manual transmission. Same grinding noise in first gear. Its nothing bad at all, but I don't want to ignore something that will later cause repairs. If anyone happens to see this (3 years later), could you let me know if this grind in the earlier models ever turned into something else. Or, if anyone has information on the more recent Mazda 3 models, is this still a common quirk of the 5 speed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all, same thing here with a 2014 6-speed manual, G165 (Europe), 43k miles. Same weird grinding when pulling away in 1st. Don't think its an issue really since so many people have mentioned it, had 3 mechanics drive the car and check it, they all say nothing is broken or anything, clutch is biting as it should, its just a bit annoying. And really, if you feather it and get to know the clutch better, you can almost eliminate the sound. So I'm just gonna learn to live with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts