2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Glad to be part of this Mazda family!!

Please forgive me, I am a total noob. I just bought a pre-owned 2011 Mazda Sport Grand Touring 4 dr Hatchback. So far I have really enjoyed the car.

About a week ago, I noticed my HID headlights were pointed really low to the ground. I took it to the Mazda Dealership in my area, and they said they needed to replace the entire headlight lens \ headlight assembly. They quoted me $914 per side (so $1828 for parts) and a few hours of labor. Not being able to drive safely at night I told them to do this.

Well, during the install of the new headlight assembly, MAZDA said that I needed to get two new Original Manufacturer HID lights, which were $275 each ($550). Or, they said I could have them use aftermarket HIDs which were only $75 each ($150). I opted for the aftermarkets because $550 just sounded insane to me.

So two days later I get my Mazda 3 back with new new headlight lenses, and new aftermarket HID lights. I notice right away that my HID lights are still not leveled correctly, and the two HID beams seem to cross each other rather than point forward, or meet together.

Another trip to Mazda, and now they tell me that the "motors" in the lenses do not work with the aftermarket HID lights, and I would need to buy two new Original Manufacturer HID lights ($550) if I wanted to be able to aim\use the motors!!! I've already spent $2000 on repairs that I am not even sure I needed. I don't want to spend more money on something if I don't really need it.

Can someone please tell me how the HID headlights work in the Mazda 3 2010/2011/2012? Can you adjust the aim of aftermarket HID lights? Does the motor only work with the Original Manufacturer HID lights? Is the motor part of the HID light, or is the motor in the headlight assembly?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Welcome first off!

I hate to say it but they took you to town. The hid lights can be adjusted by yourself. There is a small gear on the back side of the headlight. Open the hood and look for it. Then take a small 8mm socket and adjust the lights up to your liking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum! Yup I agree with Swerv0428, you fell into the extortion trap of the dealer or they tricked you, file a case against the dealership in the BBB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you "swerv0428" and "madmark023"

I will see if I can adjust the headlight HIDs myself. Does anyone by chance have any pictures to show me what I am looking for?

Can someone clarify exactly where the "motors" are that the dealer is talking about? They said when you turn the steering wheel left, the headlights turn left, and likewise when you turn the steering wheel to the right. They claimed that the "motors" would only work with the Original Manufacturer HID headlights. Are they just making things up so I buy more parts from them, or is there some truth to what they are telling me?

Thanks again everyone! I want to love my 2011 Mazda 3, but I am starting to get depressed... :/

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I have the adaptive lights like you. I haven't replaced bulbs so I'm not sure if they will work with aftermarket bulbs or not. I would imagine they would and the dealer was trying to get you to buy their expensive bulbs. The adaptive lights turn left and right with the steering wheel. They do not move up and down.

I don't have my car with me at the moment so I can't take a picture. Best I can describe is it looks like a metal gear with an 8mm but sticking out of it.

Pull your car up to a wall and adjust them up and I bet that helps. If it does I'd try and get your money back from the dealer.

Here's a pic I got from Google. It's the silver thing near the top of the light in the middle. It may not be in that exact position on yours but that's what your looking for.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I will see if I can adjust the headlight HIDs myself. Does anyone by chance have any pictures to show me what I am looking for?

Can someone clarify exactly where the "motors" are that the dealer is talking about? They said when you turn the steering wheel left, the headlights turn left, and likewise when you turn the steering wheel to the right. They claimed that the "motors" would only work with the Original Manufacturer HID headlights. Are they just making things up so I buy more parts from them, or is there some truth to what they are telling me?

Thanks again everyone! I want to love my 2011 Mazda 3, but I am starting to get depressed... :/
Nah, don't get depressed.. I don't have the adaptive lighting HIDs like you have, so I can not vouch for that plus I'm not mechanically inclined either (besides I can do oil and filter changes too). Maybe someone here with a Mazdaspeed3 with tech package would help you out.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Nah, don't get depressed.. I don't have the adaptive lighting HIDs like you have, so I can not vouch for that plus I'm not mechanically inclined either (besides I can do oil and filter changes too). Maybe someone here with a Mazdaspeed3 with tech package would help you out.
I'm helping. I have a speed with tech

1 - 9 of 9 Posts