2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am currently own 2011 Mazda3 HB 6speed. I know how to drive manual. Before, I drive my friend's car here and there. But never get a chance to fully get into driving manual. Now that, I own one, I would to know when is the perfect timing to upshift and down shift. I am getting ok with upshifting, but I would like to get better at it. At what RPM I should shift or I should follow the recommendation MPH when to shift by the OEM manual? Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

I love the car by the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do notice a little difference when shifting from 2rpm to 3rpm and from 4rpm to 5rpm. at 2rpm to 3rpm, the shifter feels a little stiff when putting into gear. On the other hand, from 3rpm to 4rpm, it hits the guy on the dot. The car is relatively new, so does the shifter/clutch needs to be break in as like the engine?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I shift around 3.5 unless going downhill or cruising, then I will do 3k.
It would be a lot of work to keep all your revs under 3k, but it all depends on how you drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I am cruising like 20mph to 25mph depends on the city traffic, the rpm stays around 2.5 to 3rpm which also depends on the amount of gas i am using.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From my experience with this car is that it shifts smoother around 3200-3500. I also think it drives and shifts even better once you wind it out more than that. Obviously you are not saving fuel by doing so, but did all of us buy this car for fuel economy? Not me. Zoom-zoom is more fun!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agreed. My last tank hit 29.1 according to the computer, and 28.9 according to Fuelly. I'd say it's doing pretty well! It's also nice to have a car where you hit the gas and it just goes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It really depends on what you're doing. When I'm commuting to work or just cruising around town, I typically follow what the manual says. Basically, shift at 10, 20, 30, 37, 45. So I'm in 4th gear by 30mph. You lose alot of power but gain some mpg doing that. That said, it's not uncommon for me to be in 3rd getting onto the highway, and not switching to 4th until 70mph. It really just has to do with having a feel for what the car can do. I usually ride at 45mph+ in 6th knowing that in a second I can down shift (to 4th or even 3rd) to get any amount of power I need (just make sure to rev match before doing this). 5th gear to me feels nearly pointless in this car. I guess you just have to get a feel for it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm usually between 3-4 gs when shifting, when downshifting, I usually wait till it under 2 and I want a lil get up and go.. of course there's not much there with the 2.0 but she does what she can with a Simota and Magnaflow haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts