2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My 2011 Mazda 3 has about 240,000 miles on it.

Somewhere around 100,000 miles, I started having trouble starting and traced it to a bad check valve in the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump ($500+) and the problem was solved. It was diagnosed by doing a pressure test and seeing how much bled off after 5 minutes.

Now, at 240,000 I'm having the same problem. I haven't formally diagnosed it but I'm pretty sure based on past experience.

I don't want to replace the fuel pump again. I'm broke. Haha.

So, I want to try to put a check valve in the line where it attaches to the fuel rail. Has anyone ever done this? I'm having trouble finding the right fittings and such to splice it in to the existing quick connects. I tried to take a micrometer to the fuel rail tube and the OD was 0.31 in or 7.8 mm. (~5/16") Does that sound right?

Anyone have a recommendation of a check valve and fittings? These don't seem readily available at stores in person and don't want to waste money guessing and ordering online without knowing for sure.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Hello,
My 2011 Mazda 3 has about 240,000 miles on it.

Somewhere around 100,000 miles, I started having trouble starting and traced it to a bad check valve in the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump ($500+) and the problem was solved. It was diagnosed by doing a pressure test and seeing how much bled off after 5 minutes.

Now, at 240,000 I'm having the same problem. I haven't formally diagnosed it but I'm pretty sure based on past experience.

I don't want to replace the fuel pump again. I'm broke. Haha.

So, I want to try to put a check valve in the line where it attaches to the fuel rail. Has anyone ever done this? I'm having trouble finding the right fittings and such to splice it in to the existing quick connects. I tried to take a micrometer to the fuel rail tube and the OD was 0.31 in or 7.8 mm. (~5/16") Does that sound right?

Anyone have a recommendation of a check valve and fittings? These don't seem readily available at stores in person and don't want to waste money guessing and ordering online without knowing for sure.
Congrats! 240,000 Miles is a lot

1 - 2 of 2 Posts