2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

Does anyone know if the 2.5l Ford motor in my 5 door hatch grand touring has a belt or chain? If belt, what is the recommended service limit please?

Thanks

Sid

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. Do you know if that 2.5 was a Ford design or Mazda? Trying to figure out the relationship between Ford and Mazda at the time.

Thanks

Sid

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're welcome. I'd say seeing the engine block and things like the flywheel have FoMoCo cast into them I'd say the relationship was pretty heavy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey,

a little more info on the subject the 2.0 and 2.5 MZR motor in Mazda 3.

The original design was by Mazda. At the time of design Ford had a controlling ownership of Mazda. The design of the MZR motor was then used by ford and rebranded as the Duratec motor and is now the basis for the Ecotech motor.

Production of the earlier MZR motors was in Japan and the ford motors was in North America (somewhere, I forget now).

Our second generation Mazda 3 have allot FoMoCo labels on part (Check out your brakes for example, I notice a ford Escape SUV with the same design and similar size the other day).

Mazda has bougth back its shares and Ford no longer owns it, since about 2012

And yes it is a timing chain and no maintenance is required.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
It is a timing chain all the mzr mazda L series engines (ours) are built in Chihuahua, Mexico. vin 5 designates federal emissions vin 6 is the pzev used in carb states like California and new York (it also has a tick less power, due to stricker pollution control stuff on it) they used fomoco stamped stuff over their brand of choice parts due to the fact ford was buying these engines (still does the 2.3l and 2.0 ecoboost, so remember the badass focus rs has our motor in it, just think about that we could make a whole lot out of this motor) anyways they stamped fomoco over NGK branded plugs. you know how I know they are genuine NGK? well 2 reasons 1 the ngk number on the new plugs is the exact one on the "fomoco" plug and 2 I called to ask ngk about this as I was wondering and was told when ngk does oem fitments they send the plugs with the part numbers on them and whatever brand name the car company asks for. so mazda asked to have fomoco put onto the plugs since ford was buying the engine, less hassle to put fomoco stuff on some and mazda names on others, just make them the same and call it a day. many external parts on our cars are ford, the motor mounts are ford made (which is why they suck so hard) the suspension is designed by Volvo which is owned by ford it is also used in the s40 to 2013 and v50 as well as the European focus (I think still uses it) mazda then took the Volvo(ford design) and put their struts and shocks, springs and steering components on it and a body obviously, but then took it and tuned the chassis and steering to their liking and performance at their mazda raceway laguna seca. so while the basic structure under the s40 and euroepan focus are the same as ours don't expect either to be as dynamic or handle as well as they are not tuned to the level ours is stock to stock.

but same goes for the rest of the fomoco stuff in the engine and directly connected to it, since mazda was selling many engines to ford and building them in one plant it was easier to just brand it fomoco and call it a day then have to have separate fomoco and non fomoco parts that where identical other then saying fomoco or not on them. many things in our cars say fomoco but are mazda designed and provided by the oe supplier mazda chose. about the only thing actually ford built in our cars is the motor mounts and basic underside of the chassis the 3 is assembled in japan by mazda and the engines are imported from mexico to japan to be put into the 3 (at least for this generation and the first one) anything denoted as fomoco on a mazda was more then likely provided by a mazda supplier and designed or built by mazda as most actual ford factory stuff will go as far as saying motocraft on it so if you see motocraft stamped on something it is ford design and provided by a ford supplier/or ford built 100% but if it says fomoco it is more than likely a subsidiary designed it and provided it to ford (Volvo or used to be mazda etc.) the only thing I think ford really built on our cars was the motor mounts and a few other sundry things that you will never see and I am 99% sure of this

yet another reason the 3 is consistently rated one of the most reliable cars even the focus in the usa from the same year is not very reliable but the 3 blows it out the water, as ford built the focus bad but mazda built our cars well and by 2010 had little to do with ford, they where still selling them engines though and all 2.5s are the same whether in a fusion, 3, focus,6 or whatever. now the ford cars they where put in have different engine control units and some have different intake manifolds(built by ford so not as good obviously) but the block and internals are the same.

this Wikipedia page on the mazda L series engine tells you a lot and I have read this and a lot more on these engines so I feel I know quite a bit about their manufacture, heritage, and what parts are used in them as well as how much mazda it is as it is a mazda design, and mazda built so you bought a mazda with a mazda engine here is the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_L_engine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts