2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a 3s Hatch 6spd for my teen's first car. Hail damage, so we got quite a deal. The car comes stock with 'Bose' and it appears to be the 4 speakers in 4 doors plus tweeters model. The head unit was removed and in the double din hole there are 2 rca wires and 4 other speaker wires. The ground and two power wires to the battery had been cut from the factory wiring harness.

In the trunk there are several speaker wires and RCA, and at the battery under the hood there is a Sochi heavy duty power wire. I don't know much about after market stereo gear, but obviously it had a subwoofer and amp(s) in its previous life.

My guess is the wholesaler or previous owner removed it all to keep or sell.

So I bought a factory head unit from eBay for $45 thinking I could just install it and move right along. Once I sorted out rewiring the cut wires, I got power to the head unit. It will load a cd, show FM stations in the info panel. Steering wheel controls all work. But no sound at all.

The speakers still have the Bose covers, but may or may not be original. I pulled one door panel and it looks like a mid range speaker, no tweeter in it. I can't tell if the tweeters are still in the sills or not.

So here is my question:

Do you think there is an easy way to rewire the factory wires back to the door speakers? Also, do you know if the door speakers are wired to the sill tweeters or are they all wired separately to the wiring harness in the dash? I ask because I took it to a car audio place and he claimed that the Bose speakers are active with built in amps and that my only option is to buy an aftermarket amp. He also claimed the factory head unit does not have an amp built in, but that Mazda had a separate amp unit. This doesn't sound right to me - the factory head unit has a heat sink in the back.

So I'm a bit out of my league here, but willing to keep solving this puzzle. My main question for any experienced car audio folks is: assuming they disconnected the factory wire at the doors, would you think the wires are still there if I fully pull a door panel and remove a speaker? Or do you think the car audio guy is right and I have to either get an external amp or a non factory head?

thanks much

Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey,

The factory Bose sound system did have a separate amp. it is supposed to be located under the passenger seat.

The wiring for the speakers should be under the passenger seat.

I would suggest looking under the passenger seat.

Good luck,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, no amp under the seat but I see where the bolts are.

It seems to me that if the speakers are aftermarket, all the wiring may be in the trunk where the aftermarket amp used to be.

Time to pull a door panel and see what wiring is behind the speaker and what brand of speaker. If speakers are good and wires are within reach, then an aftermarket amp ought to do it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
good luck with everything.

If the speakers in the doors are still the original bose, they the wiring is supposed to have the tweeter and the speaker wire together within the door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - no wiring under the passenger seat. It appears to all have been removed and just the plastic housing and bolts left. The big mystery will be the door speakers. Hopefully they are aftermarket and I can get a used aftermarket amp and be good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, simple solution was to buy a new head unit with built in amp. I ended up with a double din Kenwood. It turns out the prior owner left the high end speakers and tweeters in - Rockford Fosgate of some model. It now became the best sounding car stereo in our garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts