2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed new Monroe (just oem) rear shocks on my 2010 Mazda 3 GT 5 door and the rear end is squeaky... sort of a rubber sound. It happens often and did not occur prior to installing the shocks.

I did not replace anything except the shocks. My mechanic replaced the shock mounts about 4 to 6 months ago so they are virtually brand new and he did rear trailing arm bushings and some other suspension things. I replaced the shocks because one started leaking on me the last couple weeks.

I torqued everything to I believe what was correct according to the service manual I have... 75 ft/lbs for the bottom bolt and about 20 or 21ft/lbs for the top bolts in the shock mount. Though to be fair my torque wrench while brand new is a cheap one.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the noise? Defective shock? Or the rubber cover/sleeve for the shock?

What should I do next? The car has 100k in the Northeast so I'm being very gentle with those top bolts for fear of breaking them. Fortunately they came off easy.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,351 Posts
It could be the spring mount or the rubber bushings on your rear sway bar. I would get a grease gun and start with the sway bar bushings.

You can also make sure that the springs are seated properly in their mount. There is a groove that the bottom and top ends should be nestled into. You just undo the lower control arm with a hydraulic jack under it and then lower it a little. Start turning the springs until they are seated properly.

I doubt it's the new dampers/shocks.
CK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be the spring mount or the rubber bushings on your rear sway bar. I would get a grease gun and start with the sway bar bushings.

You can also make sure that the springs are seated properly in their mount. There is a groove that the bottom and top ends should be nestled into. You just undo the lower control arm with a hydraulic jack under it and then lower it a little. Start turning the springs until they are seated properly.

I doubt it's the new dampers/shocks.
CK
Thanks for the suggestions. I was pretty sure it was something directly related to the shocks though because it started immediately upon pulling out of the driveway after changing them. I tore apart the drivers side last weekend and pulled the new shock out... compressed it a few times and it seemed louder than the other side was when I put the passenger side in. A quick trip to the part store to swap it out (thankfully for free) and the new shock was instantly quiet and made no noise. So... either the shock was defective or taking it apart and reinstalling it made the squeak go away. But it seems to be that it was defective and just noisy.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.