2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was surfing google for coilovers/ lowering springs struts and I ran across this info on the 2010 Prokit- PDF file attached

From what I can find on the 04-09 Prokit They haven't changed anything??? I'd almost bet they are the same springs re-boxed with a new part#

Mazda 3 04+
Pro-Kit:
Front 1.2 Rear 1.2
Spring Rate: (F) 160 (R) 171
Spring Type: Linear, Single Rate

LINK- Eibach Springs : NEWS : MAZDA 3 2010 - Pro-Kit
Front:
OE rate: 24 N/mm (137 lbs/in)
PK rate: 28 N/mm (160 lbs/in)
Tubing: Yes
Bump-stop: OE
Damper: OE
OE wheel center to fender: 385mm (15.2in)
PK wheel center to fender: 355mm (14.0in)

Pro-Kit can be aligned to OE alignment specifications.
Approximate installation time: 1.5 hr

REAR:
OE rate: 23 N/mm (131 lbs/in)
PK rate: 30 N/mm (171 lbs/in)
Tubing: None
Bump-stop: OE
Damper: OE
OE wheel center to fender: 384mm (15.1in)
PK wheel center to fender: 356mm (14.0in)

Pro-Kit can be aligned to OE alignment specifications.
Approximate installation time: 1.5 hr

Reactions: Derrick_B

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Hmmm. I had my suspicions!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Did you notice that the data shows that the spring rates are linear but their advertising says that they are progressive. Unless I'm interpreting it wrong.

Every Eibach Pro-Kit is designed and tested by our suspension
engineers and performance driving professionals, to deliver
aggressive good looks and high performance handling, without
ever compromising safety or ride quality. By using our
proprietary, progressive spring design, Pro-Kit provides the
ultimate balance to take your passion for driving to a whole
new level.

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you notice that the data shows that the spring rates are linear but their advertising says that they are progressive. Unless I'm interpreting it wrong.

Every Eibach Pro-Kit is designed and tested by our suspension
engineers and performance driving professionals, to deliver
aggressive good looks and high performance handling, without
ever compromising safety or ride quality. By using our
proprietary, progressive spring design, Pro-Kit provides the
ultimate balance to take your passion for driving to a whole
new level.
I noticed that too. thats also how they list the prokits for 04-09 too, but Sportlines are listed as progressive with two spring rates listed... Strange?! I was and still am under the assumption that pro-kits are progressive rate springs.

Pro-Kit
(Linear, single rate)
Front = 160#
Rear = 171#

SportLine
(Progressive, Dual rate)
Front = 97# / 280#
Rear = 114# / 303#

Now, does anyone know the spring rates on the Mazdaspeed's gen 1 and 2

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
They'd have to be linear....otherwise I believe you'd have some deformation going on...Basic Hooke's law for materials. :001_unsure:

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Left=Progressive_________ Right= Linear

Progressive are loosely wound on one end and tight on the other giving the spring 2 different characteristics/spring rates

Linear are evenly wound and compress at the same rate no matter

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
After living with my prokits for the last six months I think I'd like springs that are a little stiffer. I'd like to see some data on the new H&R before I commit to them. Megan Racing have a 250/250 rate with a 1.5" drop.
That seems to me that they would be ideal. I was considering Road Magnet but at 360/360 they seem to be too much like coilovers. They might be a little harsh.

·
Registered
856 Posts
After living with my prokits for the last six months I think I'd like springs that are a little stiffer. I'd like to see some data on the new H&R before I commit to them. Megan Racing have a 250/250 rate with a 1.5" drop.
That seems to me that they would be ideal. I was considering Road Magnet but at 360/360 they seem to be too much like coilovers. They might be a little harsh.
Same here. After 2 days with them, I feel that they could do well to be stiffer as the ride is still too comfy! I want to be jarred on my daily drive, damnit!

Also, I would like maybe 1/2 finger more drop on the front and1.5 finger drop in the back. back still looks high to me.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Scratch the Megans. Not many people have good things to say about them. Maybe Tein s-tech. They look like higher quality. My prokits softened up alot. I liked them better when the bounced me around. I like them tight. LOL

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Scratch the Megans. Not many people have good things to say about them. Maybe Tein s-tech. They look like higher quality. My prokits softened up alot. I liked them better when they bounced me around. I like them tight. LOL

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
Scratch the Megans. Not many people have good things to say about them. Maybe Tein s-tech. They look like higher quality. My prokits softened up alot. I liked them better when they bounced me around. I like them tight. LOL
If you think pro kits are too soft, s techs are not the way to go.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
If you think pro kits are too soft, s techs are not the way to go.
Got a better suggestion? PK's are 160/170 s-tech's are 163/240 .

·
Insert Witty Title Here..
353 Posts
That's what she said...

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Progressive are loosely wound on one end and tight on the other giving the spring 2 different characteristics/spring rates

Linear are evenly wound and compress at the same rate no matter
So then they're pre-deformed to behave non-linearly...I see

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts

·
Insert Witty Title Here..
353 Posts
Double poster... lol:Michael_Jackson_dan

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
Got a better suggestion? PK's are 160/170 s-tech's are 163/240 .
H&R /thread

I don't care what the rates are, I have had both and the S-techs left much to be desired on my WRX.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts