2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been looking into CP-E's website and found that they have custom rods and pistons to make my engine stronger so I can reach my whp and tq goals and greatly reduce the risk of damage. I don't know where to get head studs though.

The process for getting my engine strengthened would be to buy these parts and take my car into a shop and have them implemented right? The parts would cost a total of approx. $1500 CAD and maybe the installation would be maybe 4 hours, so another $400. Total $2000?

MZR 2.3 DISI Pistons | Custom Performance Engineering

MZR 2.3 DISI Rods | Custom Performance Engineering

Forgive me if I'm being naive, but I am really interested in getting into racing and from what I've researched, the engine is the main issue. I know FWD is also the issue because of the weight shifting, but I will also get AWD hooked up in the near future (I know it will be expensive).

Please give me your thoughts and ideas.

Please no flamming.

Thank you,

Willy

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
No offense but if you are looking at doing piston and rods as your first modification, and you think it is only going to take 4 hours to do, you're nuts. Not trying to be mean, but they have to take the entire engine apart to do such a mod and that would be time consuming. As well unless you are getting a BT and your goals are 500hp then you could never need these. Simple bolts ons and a tune will get you well into the 300s, and that doesn't require any major surgery.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey all,

I have been looking into CP-E's website and found that they have custom rods and pistons to make my engine stronger so I can reach my whp and tq goals and greatly reduce the risk of damage. I don't know where to get head studs though.

The process for getting my engine strengthened would be to buy these parts and take my car into a shop and have them implemented right? The parts would cost a total of approx. $1500 CAD and maybe the installation would be maybe 4 hours, so another $400. Total $2000?

MZR 2.3 DISI Pistons | Custom Performance Engineering

MZR 2.3 DISI Rods | Custom Performance Engineering

Forgive me if I'm being naive, but I am really interested in getting into racing and from what I've researched, the engine is the main issue. I know FWD is also the issue because of the weight shifting, but I will also get AWD hooked up in the near future (I know it will be expensive).

Please give me your thoughts and ideas.

Please no flamming.

Thank you,

Willy

honestly if your thinking about getting into racing go other routes. what type of racing? will it be auto-x and if so what class...will it be track? if its track i say tires and suspension are more important then engine internals or a bolt on vehicle.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Agree with the boys above, if your goal is big whp/tq then I would have chosen a different platform.

Z

·
Registered
191 Posts
Umm replacing the rods and pistons is a complete engine teardown, it would be more like 40 hours, not at all necessary unless you actually damage your motor

·
Registered
238 Posts
i will be doing my internals very soon. I am looking at 575whp. The shop i deal with just did one, it hit 565whp on the dyno.
But, its not just internals you will need and the cost is alot.
All my current mods, plus these.
Piston and Rods $1300
Head studs $140
Gasket $95
Manifold $600
fuel management $600
Methonal injection $500
Oil Catch Can $200
plugs $80
brakes $2000
suspension $2000
Tuning $1000
Turbo $1850
total $10,300 without installation
add install of about $5000
new total $15,500
Plus the $6000 i have into it now,
grand total
north of $21,000
plus the car
46,000 with mods.
not bad

thats to get the car to 600hp, and track ready.
its a big project, i take it a few steps at a time.
brakes and suspension will be last.

·
Registered
238 Posts
you are correct dunston. But with the big turbo, it will take a while to spool to full boost. Its also a matter of setting the boost. With that turbo you can run anywhere from 15 - 40psi, depending what you want to do:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts