2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
This is my first post and glad to be a part of this forum.

This is my first Mazda and I purchased this celestial blue 2010 MS3 Non-Tech version about 6 months ago, and now has about 10k miles on it.

I love everything about my current 2010 MS3 except minor complains on audio quality, clutch, jerky shifts, windows shaking up on craking up volume.

I read the 2011 clutch feels much smoother and has much more features that are worth the trade in, Right now I am in a dilemma whether between trade in for 2011 MS3 or upgrade my 2010 MS3 with aftermarket stuff?

I need your opinions? :confused::confused::confused: lots of 'em

·
Registered
135 Posts
agreed. i think the numbers just wont ever be in your favor in that situation. have you extensively test driven the '11? i think thats the first step. spend a good few hours if possible. the dealer will make out huge if you trade-in, so they should be willing to do whats needed to let you make the decision. being that i have an automatic :crybaby 1: i cant comment first hand on the mazda clutch, but i have heard it is different from many other similar cars. could be that you will get more used to the clutch...? I'd upgrade the sound system, do something to the clutch (others can give you better advice) and save a couple thousand dollars still.

·
Street Unit - Ninja Killa
507 Posts
Chances are that you are upside down on your trade. If for some reason, you can trade your car for a new one and keep your payment the same, I'd do it.
agreed.. if not then buy aftermarket stuff. first thing I bought was the motor mount.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i would agree with the above - unless you own the car, i dont see this working out in your favor at all

one other point worth mentioning - if you have a non-tech speed, i think the only real difference was in the tech version - outside of the clutch issue, im not sure the "base" version is any different from the 2010 - i was under the impression that the only extra goodies were on the tech package

i dont mind the clutch - but if you want to improve the overall feel of shifting... a motor mount and shifter bushings will help a lot, and are cheap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! guys, :rock:
I am very happy to see all your responses. I think you all convinced me into a right reason by your insight. I own the car and would be great if you could you point me in the right direction on the motor mount and bushings...not sure what they are...??? where to get them?

I am also excited to to get the resonator deleted :) to please my ears while driving :)

Also, to share my experience on driving in the cold weather (no snow) at around 25 F degrees, and don't think it needs winter tires in dc area. Although the ride is kinda little more bumpy than before MS3 seems to handle fine as long as the road is dry (I live in dc area) although I drive around only on the weekends and is garaged most the time.

Thanks! again and have a nice weekend!

·
Registered
8 Posts
ehh i have an '11 and drove my buds '10, clutch is a little better in the '11 but its deff in your favor to just upgrade clutch and audio system bro,.. ull loose sooo much more trading it in.. your choice tho. GL

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks! guys, :rock:
I am very happy to see all your responses. I think you all convinced me into a right reason by your insight. I own the car and would be great if you could you point me in the right direction on the motor mount and bushings...not sure what they are...??? where to get them?

I am also excited to to get the resonator deleted :) to please my ears while driving :)

Also, to share my experience on driving in the cold weather (no snow) at around 25 F degrees, and don't think it needs winter tires in dc area. Although the ride is kinda little more bumpy than before MS3 seems to handle fine as long as the road is dry (I live in dc area) although I drive around only on the weekends and is garaged most the time.

Thanks! again and have a nice weekend!
the mount and bushing are similar in concept, but for different parts of the car - there are a number of threads on here on just that subject, with pictures to make it clear

in a nutshel - they minimize movement - the motormount is underneath the car - and by "stiffining" it up with an aftermarket part - keeps the engine from "twisting" inside the engine bay under acceleration - the bushing do the same thing, but for the shifter assembly - it just buttons everything down, makes it feel more tight and precise - makes shifting smoother and more accurate - its a cheap mod and suprisingly effective

i live in chicago, and think im in the same boat - my car isnt really driven during the week (take the train) and garaged otherwise

i skipped snow tires this winter - but this will be the last season im without them - dont try to drive that thing in the snow with the stock summer dunlops - if your looking for suggestions on tires there are a lot of threads on that too

blizzaks seem to be the prefrence - ive used general altimax arctic (i think thats what they are called) on a different car, they seem to work great and are pretty cheap

good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts