2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, I start threads out of concern and necessity, not just out of some twisted ambition to read my own words.

I have been reading on some other MS3 forums about successful tunes on the 2010 MS3s. I have read about ECUTek and Piasini. There are claimed results , pictorial and video evidence to suggest as such. I am not hating or skeptic, just want to know has anyone else seen these posts and results? If so, why is our forum not buzzing with excitement? People report strong, smooth power to fuel cut (which is about 7100 RPM-ish on the 2nd Gen).

Look guys, I am all for proven results as much as the next person, but we need to be more up-to-date with developments on our cars. <Insert sarcasm here, if I am out of the loop>

I am disappointed that nobody from our forum has posted news on this flash-based tuning sensation for the 2nd Gen. Wasn't this what we've been all waiting for?

Please, wake me up with a deluge of cold water if someone has already spoken about successful flash tunes on the 2010 MS3s.

BTW I am NOT calling out Cobb, HyperTech or anybody else for delayed product releases. I am merely a (sometimes misinformed) consumer.

I hear this chant... Like a mantra of sorts....... tune it, tune IT... TUNE IT!!!

·
1,091 Posts
Yeah, I've been following the drama over at MSF. It's a long, stupid thread with over 500 posts. I've been waiting for some further results. I mentioned this forum to Joe already and he said he'll swing by and talk about the things they can bring for the regular 2.5L Mazda 3 engine as well since I'm sure a lot of folks who feel remorse not getting a speed3 are interested in gains that can reduce the power gap between the two.

So far, the only folks who've been vocal about their tunes are Nataphen and Drenkel. Nataphen's stock car gained a significant amount of whp/torque but more importantly had much better driveability- better control of the throttle plate (throttle-cable feel). All subjective of course. Drenkel's car has a few flow mods (intake, ets tmic, test pipe) and also made a significant gain in whp/torque.

I don't cite numbers for either because they weren't dyno'd in remotely the same conditions. And dyno'ing these cars without allowing time for various components to cool down or allow proper ventilation will yield wildly inconsistent whp/torque numbers.

The majority of posts in the thread nitpick about various anomalies that occur with dyno'ing and tuning. Joe, the tuner, gained about 80whp on his stock car. I'm not skeptical about the final result, but a little about the baseline. It is quite low, but not unheard of given the amount of nannies this car has. Nonetheless, "your mileage may very" needs to be emphasized. There are no guarantees when it comes to tuning.

If you're interested in tuning right now and aren't in Texas or willing to make the trip, you can do it by mail. You have to contact them and then put a deposit down for one of their professional grade data loggers. Log your car on a dyno, street or track, send back the logger & ECU from your car, and they flash it and send it back to you. That's the jist of it. I hope to see more about the process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm the tuner that's using the EcuTek software on the 2010's

I'm in Hilton Head, SC this week.

If anyone is interested in a street tune or heading to a local dyno just let me know!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The numbers put up those tunes are pretty impressive, especially since they're not even really supported by any power mods. I'd love to find someone in Northern California capable of tuning the MZR. Not sure if I can afford the downtime of a tune-by-mail option since the car function as my daily driver.

I suppose I may have to wait until a more local solution becomes available.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
IIRC, the Mazdaspeed 3 racing teams have had some big issues with the ECU being unwilling to play nicely with competition-based maps.....have they managed to resolve anything ? They look to be down on top-end speed at the track in the races I've seen so far this year....

Do the street-tuning wizards have an answer ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
IIRC, the Mazdaspeed 3 racing teams have had some big issues with the ECU being unwilling to play nicely with competition-based maps.....have they managed to resolve anything ? They look to be down on top-end speed at the track in the races I've seen so far this year....

dont know anything about it

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This 2nd Gen ECU, along with all the accompanying electronic wizardry is proving to be a tough cookie. I appreciate everybody that is taking steps to reach somewhere conclusive with tuning. It's just unfortunate that Mazda would ramp up complexity, when I am pretty sure they understand the value of the fan base this car has.

Oh well... Politics, corporate agendas and rationality very rarely align themselves.

Still patiently waiting...

·
Registered
504 Posts

Yes, infact, working with Mazdaspeed, Speedsource, and I Moto racing, we have come up with an official tuning solution that produces good clean power, raises fuel milage, and satisfies the limits that Grand Am has established for ST

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have heard word of CP-e releasing the TC3 standalone for the MS3 sometime late this year or early next year. I'm sure that option would be great considering i'd rather tune it myself and I'd love to remove all the factory restricitions. I feel like this is some Terminator 3 crap. I miss the simplicity of my DSM ecu..drool.. Dropping in the gt30 was fun and all but my throttle plate is annoying me ever so much. 26% full throttle once boost is acheived... seriously mazda? why do u have to take control of my cheap thrills?

·
1,091 Posts
I have heard word of CP-e releasing the TC3 standalone for the MS3 sometime late this year or early next year. I'm sure that option would be great considering i'd rather tune it myself and I'd love to remove all the factory restricitions. I feel like this is some Terminator 3 crap. I miss the simplicity of my DSM ecu..drool.. Dropping in the gt30 was fun and all but my throttle plate is annoying me ever so much. 26% full throttle once boost is acheived... seriously mazda? why do u have to take control of my cheap thrills?
Do you have pictures of all your mods? Does the GT3076r bolt up to the stock exhaust manifold or was a custom one fabbed?

All the reviews of people complaining about torque steer are probably partly responsible for taming the way the power occurs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
gt3076r bolts up fairly nicely, needs a little bit of patience to get it right. I was able to use the stock manifold with no problems other than bending the water pipes a little bit. as for pictures.. camera is no where to be found and i dont have time right now to use my droid.. sorry :-/ i will try to get some up in my album before i go on deployment.

·
Nose in the corner
201 Posts
gt3076r bolts up fairly nicely, needs a little bit of patience to get it right. I was able to use the stock manifold with no problems other than bending the water pipes a little bit. as for pictures.. camera is no where to be found and i dont have time right now to use my droid.. sorry :-/ i will try to get some up in my album before i go on deployment.
Would love to see what you did here.

BTW- I saw your location. It's been awhile, but class of '86 in Ewa Beach at James Campbell High School.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello everyone, I dont know anything about John's tune, i have the Piasini tune from Joe at Home. Joe has been great. Here are the dyno results. You will see a bit of a cut in graphs, very hard to get torque numbers on this car, all the shops i have been to have had the same issue, pulling the rpms from the cable is not easy to do and cuts out sometimes. if you have any questions, hit me up:)

PS: ignore the AWD torque numbers, they could not get a good connect for rpms. You can follow the graph and see it has about 365t.
i will be happy to provide phone numbers to every shop that has dynoed this car, so you can verify the numbers.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
thats awesome - i believe thats the highest ive come across while searching forums/internet etc

my goal is 300 to the wheels before i break the 12K mile marker, so think it will be easy enough to do - thanks for the post - why? i dont know, i just set those numbers mostly arbitrarily

how is the driving on that? i would have to guess you have to be careful and not open it up all the way?

do you think this will impact the longevity of the car significantly? how many miles do you have? any plans to do any internal upgrading?

·
Registered
238 Posts
hello, 4000 miles on car. Yes, have to be careful in 1st and 2nd, as it will smoke the tires up to redline in both gears. Planning on doing internals and big turbo. I want 550whp someday:)

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
that is pretty insane - the most powerful thing ive ever driven was an svt cobra... which im pretty sure wasnt pushing 550 to the wheels (maybe at the crank - im not sure - it had been moded, but i dont know how much) - but that thing was twitchy... to say the least - you could basically do a burn out at highway speed if you wanted - i couldnt imagine how that would pan out in an MS3

i do know the guy who owned it had a 5.4L in it, which was an "upgrade" - and it was supercharged - so it was no slouch

i was under the impression these engines just couldnt do much past 320 or so to the wheels without gutting them and a substantial investment and new internals etc - ill be interested to see how this pans out - keep us posted

·
Registered
238 Posts
i am at the limit for motor at this point. Top limit is 350whp on these internals. I will need to do a total motor rebuild(bore, pistions and rods), to go any further. I heard about a totally worked MS3 with 560whp. Waiting to see it:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Mililani, was wondering if you've had your ms3 tuned.? I'm pretty much at that stage right now where besides upgrading my turbo not much left I'm gonna do. Any info would be great. They only shop on island I've been to was to get a stock dyno and that was Shaun at Monkey Works but, he said without an access port to my ECU he can't do anything. Any help is appreciated..Thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts