2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 MazdaSpeed3 Wheels equipped with 225/40/18 UHP Yokohama Parada Spec-2 Tires

Everyone is obviously aware of what the MS3 wheels look and feel like, so I do not need to post a write up about those.

Now, onto the tires.

First thing I have to say: WOW. I will follow that up with... WOW!!! (Pictures to be posted this weekend)

This tire is quite simply the best tire I have ever purchased, seen, driven, and even driven in other vehicles. the absolute best tire, hands down.

The Mazda 3's suspension, what with Macphereson front and E-type multi-link rear is a great combination of ride quality and handling ability. My biggest qualm however was that when taking a turn at higher-than-normal rate of speed (read: aggressive driving) the car would "push" through the turn and lose traction, and understeer badly. The suspension is quite simply overpowering the tires on the vehicle.

After going to a Plus One sizing option and choosing these tires, the car is a beast. I can come into a 90 degree turn at the top of second or middle of third gear (as far as RPM), flutter the gas slightly and upon hitting the back side of the apex slam the pedal and pull right out of the turn. No understeer. None. What-so-ever. I almost feel like the car now has a tendancy to oversteer (fine with me) but I think that is more so the fact that I am not used to this sort of grip on the front.

Now, I put these on when we had 50's and 60's here in the Midwest. Since then the temperature has dropped dramatically. These tires are done well considering they are cold all the time, and I still havent seen any adverse affects from the cold weather. In addition, I have had them in the rain, with temps below 40 and they still seem to just fine.

To put in to perspective how amazing these tires are, I wanted to explain what other tires I have used personally:

225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-03 on V6 Grand Am - Great tire, but horrible in the rain and still seemed to have more flex than these
225/45/17 Toyo Proxes T1-R on V6 Grand Am - Another great tire that was much better in the rain than the Potenza, but had much worse sidewall stability.
205/40/17 Toyo Proxes T1-R on MazdaSpeed Miata - Horrible on this car. Never had any traction whatsoever, car got sideways way more than I was actually attempting... no good.
225/40/18 Toyo Proxes4 on Scion tC - I actually like this tire better than the T1-R, but overall handling ability was "just ok"

So, what will I replace my Yoko Parada Spec-2's with in a few seasons? Yoko Parada Spec-2's, of course.

Pictures to come

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Are they quiet or noisy tires?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like they are more quiet than the stock Yokohamas on the 17" wheel. However, because they are so "sticky" they have a tendancy to pull little bits of gravel up under the bottom of the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts