2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and so it begins...

As promised, I was going to 'rip out' my headlights, bake 'em and paint 'em. Clearly I plan to follow through (nana)

For those of you who are impatient and cant wait to see how its done, check out the video I did on my '09 R3 headlights...

I absolutely HATE the chrome and amber nonsense in the 2010 headlights, the mission here... ELIMINATE IT. Today, the plan was to just get everything apart, out of the car. I will be posting pictures as I go along as well as a video of the process.

1. Remove 3 wheel well clips (with a phillips then small flathead) and 1 small 8mm bolt that attach to each side of the bumper.

2. Remove all 8mm and 10mm bolts under the bumper.

3. Remove all clips on top of the bumper and screws.

4. starting at the wheel wells, pull the bumper straight out and it will "snap" out of the clips (dont worry nothing breaks).

5. Pull the entire bumper out a few inches and gently lay it on the ground, right side up. You may need someone to hold it while you undo the foglight wiring.

6. Remove all foglight wiring, unplug the harnesses and clips and the bumper comes off.

7. Remove 3 bolts, and one plastic screw per headlight and unplug the single headlight wiring harness and out slides each headlight.

Todays photos are as follows...

The wimpy horn...

All hardware removed

Rain is on the way. Gotta keep that wiring dry.

Subscribe and watch the progress daily. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

If you like what you see please click "thanks". I'd appreciate it =)

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE...

Headlights wont fit in the oven. It is a standard size oven, so if anyone out there is planning on trying this, you will need an oversized oven. The 2010 headlights are about 4" longer than the RX-8 headlights. I could have measured before hand. Working on plan B as we speak... Heatgun.

Stay tuned

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was bummed to see the lights wouldnt fit in my oven... (not even diagonal in any direction)

Plan B pics coming in a few mins...

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so as you all see... the oven idea was an epic fail.

Plan B was the heatgun. I was suprised to learn the heatgun process was faster and easier than the oven method. I was a bit nervous to use the heatgun but as long as I kept it moving around everything went according to plan...

Here are the victims...

I covered the lenses with transfer paper to keep them from getting scuffed or scratched...

Face down, ass up... here you can see the HID ballasts I added previously...

Remove all wiring and bulbs...

Stripped down, ready to go...

Go around the edges with the heatgun on low... keep moving...

Slowly pry the flathead around the entire border...

Once it seems to loosen up, slowly pull the pieces apart...

Take a knife and slice this adhesive...

Viola...

Remove the enemy... first a screw...

Then, slide the little tabs out...

Put plastic wrap over your projector lens and the clear lens you just removed to keep dust out...

Amber no more...

Painting comes next... I will do that before bed tonight so I can go to sleep high as a kite off of Krylon :tongue:

Stay tuned... and if you like what you see, PLEASE click "thanks". Enjoy!

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disecting begins...

Ready to spray...

The weapon...

Battle begins... and ends after 2 thick coats...

High beams... (im not concerned with the brightness/output, as long as they flash)

Turn signals...

Projector beam surrounding...

Amber reflectors... (if these just stay removed you will have a hole/gap which looks bad)

Pieces ready to be installed...

Turn signal pieces installed...

All pieces in (except amber lenses which attach to the clear outer lens)...

Sexy...

All the wiring has been put back together and bulbs put back in...

A 100% silicone seal has been spread around the entire lens seam (just to be safe from moisture)...

The headlights have been fully assembled and the silicone is currently drying. The transfer paper is still over the lenses so I havent even seen the finished product yet. I will be installing them on the car Saturday since tomorrow (friday) is going to rain. Once theyre in the car the finished product will be releaved!

If you like what you see please click thanks! :clap:

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DAMN IT I COULDNT RESIST.... HAD TO TAKE A PEEK!

The speckles that are seen on the lens are on the outside (bug residue)...

Installed pics will be up here saturday.... check back! :clap:

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
At last... I couldnt be more happy with the results... ENJOY!

Low beams, parking lights and fog lights on...

High beams on...

I am editing the video together from this process. I will have it posted here within the next day or so...

·
Registered
987 Posts
wow. looks sick. this may sound like a silly ?, but how much would you charge to do that for me?

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow. looks sick. this may sound like a silly ?, but how much would you charge to do that for me?
Honestly I wouldnt want to do it again. Its a bit more time consuming that I expected. Youre not the first to ask me to do theirs. The video Im putting together should make you feel comfortable doing it yourself. If you have patience and a few hours, you can pull it off. Keep an eye out for when I put the video in this thread shortly...

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's pretty wicked. I like! However, now the fog light trim pieces REALLY look out of place, lol.
Ya tell me about it. I will be painting those things when I take the bumper off again to upgrade the horn.*meep meep* :crybaby 1:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Nice work! They look awesome!!!

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and as promised...

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
Does this company do racing stripes ? Could they ballpark the cost of a LeMans stripe front-to-rear on a MZ3 Hatch ?

·
Registered
987 Posts
good work, man! i'd love to do it, but i'm just too scared.:crybaby 1:

N

·
0 Posts
good job - looks good, hads some q's:

Q: Are those different turn signal bulbs? If so, from where?
Q: What brand/type of HIDs are you using for the low beams?
Q: Are you using a different bulb for the fogs or does the overlay give enough yellow output?

thanks!

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good job - looks good, hads some q's:

Q: Are those different turn signal bulbs? If so, from where?
Q: What brand/type of HIDs are you using for the low beams?
Q: Are you using a different bulb for the fogs or does the overlay give enough yellow output?

thanks!
A: Yes, yellow bulbs in the parking lights/turn signals. Ordered online
A: Xentronic
A:The film from decalfx is yellow enough. You dont need to change the bulbs.

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As requested... a before and after pic...

1 - 20 of 208 Posts