2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We're just getting these 2010 Mazda3 CorkSport Urethane Motor Mount Inserts out the door with new instructions, etc. Figured you guys would want to see what your engine is connected to under there. So Ryan and I shot some videos to show you what the factory motor mounts behave like, what the install entails and what kind of results you can expect. The before and after is pretty astonishing. $35 and ~30 minute installation (~15 with a lift).

YouTube Playlist shows Before/Installation/After and Removal of Factory Motor Mount:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

This is a great upgrade to any Mazda3 - and really easy to accomplish.

Jason Griffith
Product Development Engineer
CorkSport Mazda Performance - 360-260-CORK

·
Registered
477 Posts
true or false, we lose torque by installing these

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
False, other way around.

Stock: Engine uses torque to pivot the engine around the mounts, once that winds out the engine then puts the power to the ground.

With Motor Mount Inserts: Less drivetrain slack, reduction of wheel hop under acceleration, and less of your torque going into moving your engine around in the engine compartment. Your actual torque does not change at all, but more of the effort goes toward what you want it to, and your reaction times and responsiveness will improve because there's not that 'windup' delay.

And I guess the other thing to note is that these have less vibration than some of the dogbone style motor mounts. But they are just as good because they have a huge thrust surface that prevents that windup. They do vibrate a little tiny bit right off idle for the first week or so as they're settling in.

Jason

·
Registered
607 Posts
That is bad ass!

Come in red? j/k

How long does it take to get that unberbelly "skidplate" off to access? and as previously asked, does it come with all torque spec? or do we ahve to contact a dealer?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is bad ass!

Come in red? j/k

How long does it take to get that unberbelly "skidplate" off to access? and as previously asked, does it come with all torque spec? or do we ahve to contact a dealer?
I'll spray paint your set ;-).

Skidplate covers forward of that, it's fully installed in those videos. Torque spec is 70 ft lb for all five bolts. Forward bracket bolts are blind holes into the casting, do not have any passage into the transmission, so no fluid leaks.

Jason

·
Registered
477 Posts
so lift the car and install them, any added or lessened road noise?

·
Registered
477 Posts
thanks for answering the questions jason, but unfourtunately i have two more and hopefully no more after that
is it possible to do this with jackstands? would i have to remove the plastic skid plate?

·
1,272 Posts
thanks for answering the questions jason, but unfourtunately i have two more and hopefully no more after that
is it possible to do this with jackstands? would i have to remove the plastic skid plate?
Already been asked/answered ;)

~30 minute installation (~15 with a lift).
How long does it take to get that unberbelly "skidplate" off to access?
Skidplate covers forward of that, it's fully installed in those videos.

·
Registered
477 Posts
im embarassed, id delete that post but you quoted me :(

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Does this affect the life of the stock motor mount at all? I know the 1st gen's were notorious for going out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Does this affect the life of the stock motor mount at all? I know the 1st gen's were notorious for going out.
id say that its too early to say, but im usually always wrong

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
The motor mounts are practically identical to the 1st gen's, if not exactly he same. I would expect there to be enough information available from the 1st gen's to answer my question, but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First off, I haven't heard anything about the rear motor mount being faulty - but given how little connectivity it has to the bracket system from the factory it wouldn't surprise me. However, bolstering the gaps in the mount with a higher durometer material like urethane and adding about 3/8" of thrust washer surface between the subframe and the motor mount will strengthen the entire mount.

That being said, what I think you're referring to with faulty mounts is the oil filled side mount that is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. We haven't designed a replacement for that mount yet, but I'm pretty interested in doing so because the replacements on the market are extremely expensive - which is silly. Top notch manufacturing and materials choice doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg.

In our instructions, we specifically tell our customers to inspect their passenger side motor mount for the nasty oil leaked onto their fender. We've had people who have complained about how loose their engines are and so they buy our mount inserts only to find that the issue was that their other mount had failed.

Enough info?

Jason

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm new to the car scene so I'm going to ask a noob question, lol. After a certain time a usage, will these need to be replaced?
Also does anyone know installing this will void any warranty with Mazda?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With all of the 'will this effect the warranty' questions the reality is it really depends on your dealer. There was a manufacturer out there who was making replacement motor mounts where the welds were failing and dropping peoples engines on the ground at speed. If you ran one of those, and that happened, I doubt they'd warranty the damages. I can't imagine a case where our motor mount insert would cause a warranty related claim. We did have one customer who had these motor mounts installed them AFTER his side motor mount had failed and his dealer had no problem replacing ALL of the motor mounts without any complaint.

The inserts are fairly high durometer polyurethane and do not wear like rubber does. That being said, there's no polymer that lasts forever, but these are extremely durable and long lasting.

Jason

·
Senior Adventure Gamer
236 Posts
2 questions:

Is it correct that the only tradeoff to these are increased road noise and vibration (even beyond the break-in period)?

What do you mean by "wheel hop"? In my head, I'm imagining you're referring to what happens when you accelerate after turning off of a slightly uneven driveway and your wheels momentarily make poor contact with the ground -- thus a slight hop. It seems strange that motor mount inserts could help this, so I'm guessing you mean something else.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts