2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've noticed that there is a cyclical ticking sound coming from the engine at idle when my 2010 Mazda3 2.0 is fully warmed up. It doesn't seem to be affecting performance, but it is definitely an audible ticking that I hear best when I am in the car at a red light. I opened up the hood to check, and I noticed that the engine seems to be vibrating quite a bit at idle (tested by putting my hands on the engine), especially the air filter box/intake area. I've never owned a 4 cylinder engine car, and all the 5 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines I've encountered seem to visually run very smoothly and vibration free. While there are vibrations in the engine area, I do not feel any vibrations in the cabin. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is this something inherent in the Mazda3 engine?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi all,

I've noticed that there is a cyclical ticking sound coming from the engine at idle when my 2010 Mazda3 2.0 is fully warmed up. It doesn't seem to be affecting performance, but it is definitely an audible ticking that I hear best when I am in the car at a red light. I opened up the hood to check, and I noticed that the engine seems to be vibrating quite a bit at idle (tested by putting my hands on the engine), especially the air filter box/intake area. I've never owned a 4 cylinder engine car, and all the 5 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines I've encountered seem to visually run very smoothly and vibration free. While there are vibrations in the engine area, I do not feel any vibrations in the cabin. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is this something inherent in the Mazda3 engine?
There will definitely be vibration.. now there is a big difference between vibration that slightly rocks the engine at idle.. and definite knocking.. Id say the best way to tell is through the exhaust... if it is going putt putt putt in an inconsistent and at the same time the engine is rocking very noticably.. then I would say you have a problem... otherwise.. I think you are okay.

As for the ticking sound... aluminum block engines are just really noisy, I believe that the ticking is coming from the cams and valves? Im not 100% familiar with DOHC engines.

·
cro-magnon man
510 Posts
As for the ticking sound... aluminum block engines are just really noisy, I believe that the ticking is coming from the cams and valves? Im not 100% familiar with DOHC engines.
or it may also be your fuel injectors making the ticking noise

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or it may also be your fuel injectors making the ticking noise
With fuel injectors, would the correct fix be something like seafoam through the gas tank?

I went to the dealership to ask about the ticking noise, and they were able to reproduce it but claimed that it was due to my dirty oil (4000 miles, 10 months). Admittedly that's on the long end of a typical oil change interval, so I changed it out with synthetic oil+motorcraft filter. Still the same problem, but I will monitor it for a couple of days.

xGRIZx, the engine is certainly not vibrating significantly, just seems to be more than a typical 6 cylinder engine (specifically, our Mazda MPV), so I was curious. I will check the exhaust tomorrow. Overall, I'm not horribly worried about the noise, but I don't want it to cause any problems down the road after my warranty ends.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With fuel injectors, would the correct fix be something like seafoam through the gas tank?
Its called injector Pulse, its normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts