2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 manual trans Mazda3. The lights were left on draining the battery. Jumped it and it starts up fine, but when you shift it into gear it "reboots" (for lack of a

better term) saying hello on the dash. At the same time the power steering goes out and a warning light of a steering wheel/! shows up. What gives? Is this a fried

board or something? I have decent mechanical skills but electronics are tricky for me. Any help people got would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Might have fried something with a stray current or voltage spike when you jumped it. Personally I always connect jumper and battery charger leads to the block, not the battery negative terminal.
Maybe try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes or so and see if the body control computer reboots itself. If that doesn't work you might have to check for fault codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spot on Mike! Tried it and all seems well. Don't know where I got in my head that its better to connect to the ground terminal (I didn't use-to.) I'm going back to the frame. Thanks again!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts