2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a used 2010 Mazda 3 with about 45,000 miles on it. The car has been wonderful, having come from an old Audi I'm looking forward to a more reliable, yet still fun to drive vehicle (Audi was breaking down all the time). I've just had one issue since winter has set in. Sometimes the car doesn't start on a second attempt, but it always starts the first time.

This may sound odd, but I notice that if I start the car when it is just above 0 degrees F and happen to shut it off within a minute, it sometimes has trouble starting again. Has anyone experienced this? I'm wondering if it has something to do with the car reducing the fuel mixture too early so it isn't rich enough to start if I turn it off and on again. The problem is usually resolved by either waiting or giving it a little gas, as it tries to start but doesn't seem to get the RPM high enough to fully start.

Again, it ALWAYS starts the first time, no problem. Just sometimes it seems to stall if I turn it off before it fully warms up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
hmmm I never tried that on my mazda, so i'm not sure what it could be or why, my guess is that the 02 sensors get hot enough and it is no longer in open loop for cold weather starting? possibly.

also why would you do this? this is horribly hard on the car. esp 0 degrees starting is hard, but starting shutting it off and starting again and cranking cranking cranking.. ouch.. your engine hates you! lol

·
2010 MZ3
144 Posts
This also happens to me. If I start the car then just move it in and out the garage, then turn it off, it does take a hard time to start again. It helps though if I rev it a little bit before turning it off.

I think it has something to do with our cars running rich and then the engine is still cold so it somewhat floods the fuel injectors when you turn them off when its still cold.. Not really sure.. hehe

·
2010 MZ3
144 Posts
I usually start it 15 to 30 mins after, it still is starting hard. But when I rev the engine a little bit before turning it off, it starts easier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starting Issue

Thanks for all the feedback.

I probably should have clarified that I don't go around starting, stopping and restarting my car. I found out once by accident, I started my car on a cold day then realized I needed my keys, so I had to turn off the car soon after starting it. When I tried to start it again it almost started but didn't quite seem to give itself enough gas and stalled. I'd finally get it to start by waiting a minute and then giving it a little gas. After that, no problem.

I tried to recreate the problem and sometimes it would happen, sometimes it wouldn't. I think it depends greatly on temperature - if it is cold enough it seems to keep the mixture rich enough, but right around 0-10 degrees F it seems to reduce the mixture too early. It never happens once the car has warmed up.

Anyway, it isn't a big deal, good to know someone else also has had it happen too. It really isn't a problem since I don't plan to turn my car on and off in cold weather (I don't want my engine to hate me!). I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign of a huge problem.

Thanks! My first Mazda and I like it so far!

·
Registered
24 Posts
at 45K mile, you should investigate the battery. Typical battery lasts 3.5 yrs and the Mazda 3 battery often requires "distilled water" to add to the battery cells since it is not maintenance free.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Well I dont know about you guys I bought my car in July of 09 and Im at 52000 miles and my battery still reads full health! To keep going strong just make sure to service the terminals and keep them from corrosion

·
Registered
14 Posts
This also happens to me. If I start the car then just move it in and out the garage, then turn it off, it does take a hard time to start again. It helps though if I rev it a little bit before turning it off.

I think it has something to do with our cars running rich and then the engine is still cold so it somewhat floods the fuel injectors when you turn them off when its still cold.. Not really sure.. hehe
Yeah I've had the same exact problem happen to me in cold weather but rarely. I would have to rev it a tad and it will start and won't do this for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a used 2010 Mazda 3 with about 45,000 miles on it. The car has been wonderful, having come from an old Audi I'm looking forward to a more reliable, yet still fun to drive vehicle (Audi was breaking down all the time). I've just had one issue since winter has set in. Sometimes the car doesn't start on a second attempt, but it always starts the first time.

This may sound odd, but I notice that if I start the car when it is just above 0 degrees F and happen to shut it off within a minute, it sometimes has trouble starting again. Has anyone experienced this? I'm wondering if it has something to do with the car reducing the fuel mixture too early so it isn't rich enough to start if I turn it off and on again. The problem is usually resolved by either waiting or giving it a little gas, as it tries to start but doesn't seem to get the RPM high enough to fully start.

Again, it ALWAYS starts the first time, no problem. Just sometimes it seems to stall if I turn it off before it fully warms up.

Thanks.
I have the same issue with my 2010 Mazda3, and it's gotten more annoying after moving to a state with actual winter (happens mostly in cold weather). Did you ever figure out what was causing this? I'm convinced it's something fuel system-related.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It might be the rich mixture due to a cold engine flooding the plugs. If it happens again pull a plug and see if it's wet. I'd expect the ignition system could fire a wet plug but who knows? You might be able to fix it with fresh plugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks @Mike C! Had them changed last year and I'm still having this issue over the winter. The dealer says it's because I'm flooding the engine by driving for only a short amount of time without warming it up for like 5 minutes. The idea of having to warm up the car before going on a shorter drive sounds very 1980s to me :).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 2010 Mazda3 since new and it does the same thing once in while. I agree that it sounds very 1980s. It is indeed a flooding condition. It took me a while to figure it out (found it in the owner's manual of all places), but I can always get the car started in situations like this if I hold the accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking. I hope this helps someone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts