2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work this morning and my entire dashboard went out and my speedometer quit working. I though it could be a fuse, but when I looked at the owners manual there is not a indicator for a speedometer. I simply do not have the money to pay a mechanic to fix this. Please help and tell me if and which fuse it could possibly be so I can get this fixed. I truly appreciate any help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have found the fusebox diagram but I dont know which one to change. It doesnt state it on the diagram. After reading I think it is the BCM fuse, but It's not listed. I am basically hoping someone knows the fuse number

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was driving to work this morning and my entire dashboard went out and my speedometer quit working. I though it could be a fuse, but when I looked at the owners manual there is not a indicator for a speedometer. I simply do not have the money to pay a mechanic to fix this. Please help and tell me if and which fuse it could possibly be so I can get this fixed. I truly appreciate any help
2010 should still be in warranty.

Pat.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I was just about to say contact Mazda and have them tow it if you dont feel safe to drive. That would be something they would have to take care of. Any mods on the car?

Try number 34 not sure if that will work

Description Fuse Rating Protected Component
1 FAN 2
2 ENG MAIN 40 A Engine control system
3 BTN1 50 A For protection of various circuit
4 A/C MAG 7.5 A Air conditioner
5 H/L HI 20 A Headlight high beam
6 FOG 15 A Fog lights*
7 H/L WASH
8 SUNROOF 15 A Moonroof*
9 F. DEF RH
10 F. DEF LH
11 FAN 1 40 A Cooling fan
12 ROOM 15 A Interior lights
13 TCM 15 A TCM*
14 DSC 20 A Dynamic Stability Control system
15 BTN2 7.5 A For protection of various circuit
16 AT PUMP
17 HEATER 40 A Heater
18 INJ
19 R. DEF 30 A Rear window defroster
20 IGKEY 2 40 A For protection of various circuit
21 IGKEY 2 40 A For protection of various circuit
22 HORN 15 A Horn
23 STOP 15 A Brake lights
24 ENG+B 10 A Engine control system
25 FUEL PUMP 25 A Fuel system
26 ABS 40 A ABS
27 SEAT WARM 20 A Seat warmer*
28 EHPAS 80 A Electro Hydraulic Power Sterring
30 ABS IG 7.5 A ABS
32 H/L LO RH 15 A Headlight low beam (RH)
33 H/L LO LH 15 A Headlight low beam (LH)
34 ILLUM 7.5 A Dashboard illumination
35 TAIL 15 A Tail lamp
36 ENG INJ 15 A Engine control system
37 ENG BAR 15A PCM
38 ENG BAR 2 20 A PCM
39 ETV 15 A Electric thorttle valve

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
It should still be under warranty if it is a 2010...

Take that to a dealer ASAP if you can't fix it by just the Fuse. They pretty much have to fix an issue like that.

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
The speedometer does not recieve analog voltage- you cant check it with a voltmeter. It receives a digital signal over canbus lines from the pcm.

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
Look at the engineer showing everyone up.

Thanks! I learned something today!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The speedometer does not recieve analog voltage- you cant check it with a voltmeter. It receives a digital signal over canbus lines from the pcm.
So, it is not a fuse? The complete dashboard is off. I cant tell how much gas I have or the speed. I was hoping I could change a fuse. I have an outstanding invoice with my dealership, so i am trying to avoid that.

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
So, it is not a fuse? The complete dashboard is off. I cant tell how much gas I have or the speed. I was hoping I could change a fuse. I have an outstanding invoice with my dealership, so i am trying to avoid that.
Can Bus technology basically works with 4 wires.

2 signal feeds, and power/ground.

If you don't have power/ground, it can't communicate even if the network is properly sending the signal between the modules in the network (in this case the PCM/Cluster)

So yes, it could be a fuse, but fuses just don't go bad by themselves. They blow when the strand gets to hot, usually because there is a short in the wiring. If you have a bad fuse, I highly suggest it is because there is some other problem.

Did you work with the car lately, have you modified any wiring, or added any circuits?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was upgrading the battery and I believe they may have crossed the cables...... Thats the only thing I can think of. I am trying to figure out what fuse the instument cluster or PCM is

1 - 12 of 12 Posts