2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently changed my rear rotors on both sides about 2 weeks ago and after doing so, I noticing this clanking sound in the rear of my car. The clank usually started right around when I would go over uneven roads, or at anytime I traveled at slow speeds. It sounded like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zeixkQOSaM

It unfortunately is coming from both sides. So I went to investigate and I found this on both sides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ZL8Xkf8UA

I bought the rotors from Oreily's who claimed the rotors are part of an OEM from BrakeBest. I went to go talk to the sales people at the store and they said it was not normal but did not have any suggestions after that. Additionally, the sound does come from the back even though the lug nuts are bolted down to about 100 psi as noted in the manual. So I wanted to ask, any idea if this much movement is normal? Any suggestions as to if I should just go buy another pair or rotors and attempt to return these ones in hopes that it is a bad batch or something? Any and all suggestions would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Did you validate online that the rotor part numbers that you had bought were in fact the rotors that were meant for the Mazda? It looks like those are not the correct rotors for the rear of that vehicle. It should be relatively easy to slide on the new rotors, but you should not have that much play. Validate that the part numbers you used were for the rear and not the front, and of course are meant for that year Mazda.

Good luck!

Dan

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Rotor movement in that direction should not be possible when the wheels are torqued down properly -- the 2nd video is fairly normal for fresh rotors since there's nothing clamping the rotor to the hub. Have you investigated what moves around even before the wheels come off?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts