2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am the new owner of a 2010 Mazda 3 I Touring sedan with a single CD non-Bose radio. I was wondering if all of the buttons on the unit should light up (orange) when I put the headlights on at night? The center is illuminated blue with the lights off, but this gets very dim once headlights are turned on (buttons also look a very dim orange). No one from Mazda seems to be able to answer this. Also, if someone has a wiring diagram showing how this lighting is powered, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I think it's white isn't it? I haven't had my oem radio for a long time now so I can't remember the color but yeah it does light up at night. Can you hardly see the radio buttons at night when it is lit up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are a faint orange...the blue lights up in the center of the unit. Do you know where the power to light this up comes from?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Ah now I remember, it's more on the red side but that just depends on everyone's eyes. The power comes from the huge connector that plugs into the back of the radio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know if the power for the illumination comes through the instrument cluster? I'm trying to verify this. If somebody has a wiring diagram that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This may sound like a really stupid suggestion, but the brightness of the radio's lights are connected to the brightness of your instrument cluster as well. If that is turned down, I believe it will turn down all illuminated gauges/buttons in front of you. Have you double checked that it's turned all the way up?

Reactions: pdc001

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks m_blind for sending these they have been helpful. Based on these and what I've been able to find online there is a gray wire on the radio wiring harness that comes from the instrument cluster that is for radio illumination. 12V power comes from the TNS switch and the ACC. The radio illumination decided to work the other day with the car on and headlight switch on, so I pulled the radio out and tested the voltage on the gray illumination wire at the radio. The meter read approximately 2V. A few days earlier I tested the voltage on this circuit when the illumination was not working and the reading was approximately 1.94V. I got 12V from both the ACC and TNS wires on the harness. Do you know what the voltage should be on this wire when the car is on and headlight switch is on? I can’t get anyone to explain to me how this circuit is supposed to be operating. One thing I did notice is that the dimmer switch on the cluster does not dim any other lighting in the dash other than the cluster when I turn it…not sure if this is right. Any assistance you can provide is appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, did you got this solved ? I have a similar problem with the aftermarket deck made by Eonon , I can barely see any light when headlight switch is on. Screen get's dimmed , but almost no light on the buttons , kind of the same thing you have . Please let me know if you find any solution to fix it .

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey! sorry for such a late post on this thread. did you ever get this sorted?
If you are still trying to nut this out i think you should check your illumination grounding wire. I think it is pin 1G (or 2nd pin in from the right on the bottom row) off the top on my head (but best double check)
You would be amazed how many headaches poor grounding causes people
Let us know how you get on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts