2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2010 mazda 3 gear change delay?

11K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  finaldrive 
#1 ·
When I use the manual mode, the car doesn't shift instantaneously from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th. There is a delay. When I'm on 2nd and push the gear down to go to 3rd, the display in front says am at 3rd now but the gear doesnt actually change to 3rd until a second or so(rpm doesn't fall and get back up as if it's going to 3rd until 1 second). Is that normal? I am suspecting those fucking retards at the service center replaced a part or something. I don't know if I am just paranoid or something, but I should not have left the car there unattended. I didn't feel there was a delay before I took it.

#2 ·
Well there is usually a delay ... now depending on how long that delay it maybe something is wrong... =/

It is really hard to say..

Even though it is an automatic there is still an rpm range that the transmission likes to shift in. If you are outside of that range it will take longer to shift because the syncros have to line up and etc etc..

Even in really expensive flappy paddle cars, there is a delay.. now a days it is much!!!! better then it used to be.

I test drove a auto 2.5 (did not have manual on the lot) and from what I remember the shifting in manual shift mode was pretty decent from others that I have tried... but there was still a delay..

About how much of a delay? and can you elaborate more on why it was at the service center?

#3 ·
I did an oil change with the regular 10,000 kms check up. I don't think it shifts as fast now. I left the car there for 2 hours. The delay is 1-2 seconds but as I told you, the display says you're at 3rd before it actually shifts. 1-2 seconds delay. We have the worst service centers in the middle east, I am suspecting they exchanged some parts :/

#5 ·
So when you drain your oil, when you start the engine the first time, you usually here the ccan tick as it builds oil pressure and fills the motor... Basicaaly you have a dry start... However.. after a few seconds you should be fine.

Going back to the shifting.. before you took it there did the display nit show the gear change until it shifted.. ? I would think thats not a huge problem.. the ecu is probably incrementing the shift because it is shifting.

#6 ·
I know the delay you are speaking of, it seems like you shift(on the knob) and the rpms climb THEN the tranny shifts....I think its normal occurance, the book has suggested speeds, like 1-2 @15mph, 2-3 at 25mph, etc etc....I found that early shifts are a bit better, IE: shift @ 10,20,30,40(5th)mph

#7 ·
Thank you guys. The car's sound changed after the oil change. Permanent change. When I close the windows, I usually can't tell if its running in neutral. Now I do, there is a ticking sound that I started to hear right after I changed oil. Gears change roughly, like when I'm in 2nd and come to a near stop, I can hear the first kicking like it's hitting. Loud sound when the first kicks in. Don't know what's wrong, but I am not that eager to take it into the same dealership again :/ I realized 2 days ago that I got new scratches on the front after I went there. They don't care for your car.

#8 ·
Mazda 3 delayed gear shift

HI everyone,

Im having problems with my mazda 3, i felt a gear shift delay specially when its going towards the 2nd gear it feels like the car is being held on after gear shift and after a second it goes to a sudden acceleration (it kicks), then when its going towards the 3rd gear the rpm shoots up to 3000 before it shifts. Delaership service cannot determine the problem since there is no error message on the console. I have tried replacing the transmission oil filter it relieved a little bit but it seems it is still there.

Any ideas what it is??

#9 ·
What RPM's are you guys shifting at? I drive in manual shift mode all the time and don't notice a huge delay. Also, how long have you been playing with the manual shift mode? It takes some time to find/feel the sweet spots with it. I think the more you use it the less delay you will notice. Maybe the ECU has to learn your new driving habits?!

#10 ·
The older cars have slower shifts than the newer ones I think. @DomTheGhost 's early 2010 has a massive shift lag from 1-2 and 2-3, I don't know if you can get the TCU to speed up enough even if you keep pulling the battery and resetting it. I'd try that but he'd kill me lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.