2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking for some help. I turned on my 2010 Mazda 3 today and had all three of the Check Engine, AT (Automatic Transaxle), and DSC/TSC (Dynamic Stability Control / Traction Control) on. They did not turn off over the 3-4 mile trip home. There is definitely a real issue as the car feels sluggish and does not move forward normally when stopped w/o the brakes on.

So far I have checked the ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) using an online guide and it looks full. It doesn't smell like burning to me. So I was going to leave it alone.

Does this sound like trouble?
I have not had any issues up to this point.
Car has 100k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any ideas?

I'll be taking to the dealership to get it looked at, but not for a week at least, as they are busy...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I turned it on and the AT and DSC/TCS lights were off, only the Check Engine light left on. Shifting was smooth when trying it standing still. Didn't try driving.

It was a cooler day today and it was hot on the day I got the problem. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't get responses here but what I ended up doing is getting the code read at PepBoys, and it came out as a U0101.

Following many other reports of the U0101 online, I ended up ordering a "new" (used) TCM off of eBay. Actually, the first one I got cleared all my lights and drove better, but I wanted to see if another worked better. In particular I wanted one with the EXACT same revision (mine was an Lf8m-18-9e1e; first module I tried was Lf8m-18-9e1f, and second was an exact match). I still can't prove that the exact match 9e1e drives better, but I felt better about it. (There are conflicting claims online about whether the last letter of the revision has to match, and because of that I really wanted to just get an exact match.)

I've been driving for a few weeks and all seems good. The only thing I notice is that there's a kick when going from 1st to 2nd after starting the car. I don't remember having this in the past before my light problems came up, and before I got the new TCM, but it COULD be that I was paying less attention then.

Maybe this response helps someone. I'd suggest looking up other threads with the U0101 though, since they will have more info than I on that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
elevenfound, did the new TCM resolve the issue or if you got any symptoms back (i.e. CEL, AT, and Traction lights on)? Where is the TCM located and was it easy to replace?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, looking for some help. I turned on my 2010 Mazda 3 today and had all three of the Check Engine, AT (Automatic Transaxle), and DSC/TSC (Dynamic Stability Control / Traction Control) on. They did not turn off over the 3-4 mile trip home. There is definitely a real issue as the car feels sluggish and does not move forward normally when stopped w/o the brakes on.

So far I have checked the ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) using an online guide and it looks full. It doesn't smell like burning to me. So I was going to leave it alone.

Does this sound like trouble?
I have not had any issues up to this point.
Car has 100k miles.
Hey mate, I got the exact same problem yesterday.
All the 3 lights engine, AT and DSC lights are on. When trying to reverse the car gets a big jerk, moving on D - it takes a lot of acceleration to move forward.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
HOW MUCH DID YOU SPEND TO FIX IT?

I have given it to Mazda service centre, they have charged me $150/hr to diagnose and anything else extra.

Can you tell how bad the issue is? and is it fixable without having to spent $$$$.

Looking forward to a reply
Regards

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
just saw all this, that sounds like a failing tranny control module (no not a pimp in the hood who got beat up) that will cost major if it is the control module. I would first take it to a mazda service dept. (yes I know dealership service departments suck) but here is why, they have the fancy computer with Mazda's diagnostic software on it not just the generic obd2 troubleshooting the ones at autozone etc do. the dealership's computer gives them much more detailed info. I would take it to them and pay the diagnostic fee (usually $120ish) and tell them what its doing and you want a diagnostic to know which direction to go in fixing it. they can then give you a better answer after examining the car first hand reading the codes and sensor readings etc, but that sounds like you are in the early stages of tranny failure, which ironically is what drove me to trade in my 2011(among other reasons biggest needing more space). the 13s back (nonskyactiv) still used ford auto trannys and they were not the best units (mine was acting odd in a different and still concerning way) and it is a known issue on these cars to have tranny issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

my mazada 3 had same problem , it's just over 20k mils. 2012 mazda (yes, didn't drive much)
at first, the DSC/TSC (Dynamic Stability Control / Traction Control) on, then Check Engine, AT (Automatic Transaxle) lights on.
I can feel the engine running fast when feeding gas, but the speed didn't pickup.
had it towed to mazada dealer, they are busy had to wait a few days before they can check it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2009 SP25 Mazda 3. My car is showing the same conditions as described above. Please let me know how you guys fixed the issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't get responses here but what I ended up doing is getting the code read at PepBoys, and it came out as a U0101.

Following many other reports of the U0101 online, I ended up ordering a "new" (used) TCM off of eBay. Actually, the first one I got cleared all my lights and drove better, but I wanted to see if another worked better. In particular I wanted one with the EXACT same revision (mine was an Lf8m-18-9e1e; first module I tried was Lf8m-18-9e1f, and second was an exact match). I still can't prove that the exact match 9e1e drives better, but I felt better about it. (There are conflicting claims online about whether the last letter of the revision has to match, and because of that I really wanted to just get an exact match.)

I've been driving for a few weeks and all seems good. The only thing I notice is that there's a kick when going from 1st to 2nd after starting the car. I don't remember having this in the past before my light problems came up, and before I got the new TCM, but it COULD be that I was paying less attention then.

Maybe this response helps someone. I'd suggest looking up other threads with the U0101 though, since they will have more info than I on that.

Thank you so much for posting your problem and solution here as it helped me solve the exact same issue with my 2010 Mazda3 Faulty TCM.

I replaced the original part # L539-18-9E1H with a newer version L539-18-9E1J and it works perfect. I paid about $500 for a brand new TCM with next day shipping. The repair took about 30 min, it's actually very simple. I ended up replacing the 10 year old alternator first thinking that was the issue but it turns out it was the TCM.

Total repair was $900 for the TCM, New Alternator, and new Battery. Sucks that I replaced the alternator first but I look at it as preventative maintenance as it was already 10 years old but it might have lasted another 10 years, oh well just happy to have the car running again.

My issues were the car would loose power while driving and turn off. Also had all the lights on the dash. Car would jerk when parked and trying to put into gear. When you were lucky to get it going the transmission would loose power and you would have to rev the engine much more than normal to get any movement. Other times everything would be fine. The issue was intermittent with the dash lights not always being on.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys , so I have the same problem with AT light randomly coming on (MAZDA 3 2010) and then going off . No check engine light or anything. Took it to Mazda and they said it has codes for the solenoid and abs pump so they charged me $1300. Picked up car and light came on less than 2 blocks. Took it back and they said they are “sorry” and will replace my TCM for free. (They have to my car is PZEV) so they called me yesterday and said they drove it twice and no light. I’m going to pick it up today! Pray for me 🙏🏼

1 - 15 of 15 Posts