2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought my mazda 3 into the dealership where they diagnosed the car to have defective front end bushings and sway bars. They replaced those. I have 19000 miles on my car and I went to have my tires rotated like I always do, but before that I did notice that my front tires had less tread than my back which were at 50%. I also had inside wear on the front left tire as pointed out by the tire company which they said was abnormal wear. I last rotated my tires 8000 miles ago. I called the dealership and they said it was a camber and toe issue and that they would have me bring it in and for $80 fix the issue. I said, wait a minute, this car has only 19000 miles and only 16 months old, how could that be out of line, and how do you explain the abnormal tire wear? They proceeded to tell me that Mazda recommends this alignment every 12000 miles. I said OK, but I just got my car back from you where you replaced the defective bushings and sway bars, it seems to me from what I have read that this could have an effect on my abnormal tire wear and that this should be something covered under warranty?? In fact you should owe me 2 new front tires. Can someone clarify if in fact faulty bushings and sway bars could affect my tire life?? I have had no pulling issues with the car either, and if it is in fact a camber or toe issue, than when you went to replace the bad bushings and sway bars, should your technician not have noticed that this needed to be checked?? Am I wrong here??? Please help!!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
FWD cars are notorious for wearing the front tires faster than the rears even with a good alignment and good bushings. Bad control arm bushings could cause extra wear but not the sway bar bushings. I'm not taking Mazda's side but 19,000 miles is a lot for the 300 tread wear stock tires and 8,000 is too long to wait to do a rotation on these cars. IMO pursuing this issue with Mazda is like getting blood out of a stone.

Reactions: bwp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so would you say that if it was a TOE issue that when they did replace the bushings that the tech should have noticed this??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the inside wear on the front tire that when I feel it, it is like a ridge that is being worn. Is that the toe that is out of line?? At 19000 miles should this be something that is normal for my car to have checked each 12000 miles? It seems like this would be an incorrect factory setting??

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
You said the the front bushings were replaced. I'm pretty sure if they pull your suspension apart to do a repair then they have to do an alignment. So maybe you do have a case if they failed to align the car. What bushings did they replace exactly?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
No alignment is needed for replacing endlinks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
premature tire wear/negative camber issues mazda 3 2010

I had the same problem. Just got a new set of tires and my car only has 15K on it. The inside of the tires were already worn completely bald. I picked the Conti Extreme DWS, which should last to 50K, but my dealership says it will be lucky to get 25K out of them due to the Mazda3 having negative camber for better performance.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had the same problem. Just got a new set of tires and my car only has 15K on it. The inside of the tires were already worn completely bald. I picked the Conti Extreme DWS, which should last to 50K, but my dealership says it will be lucky to get 25K out of them due to the Mazda3 having negative camber for better performance.
i got about 19k out of my stockers...but my conti extreme dws have about 20k and still look brand new.

rolling towards 40k on the car now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts