2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the story, my friend recently purchased a 2010 Mazda3 2.5 GT with tech package, but for some reason there were no HIDs on the car and the highbeams wouldnt work. So i helped him purchase and install a cheap HID kit from ddm so he could have a bit more light. I also replaced both the highbeam/DRL bulbs to try and get the highbeams working and checked all the fuses, but they just wouldnt work. We brought the car to the dealer for service and asked them to check why the highbeams wouldnt work while it was with them.
Turns out the car was in a front end accident and both Both headlight housings had to be replaced, but they were replaced with regular mazda3 housings and not the tech package bixenon ones. To have them replaced back to the proper housings with Bixenon and AFS, it would cost almost $3000 from the dealer, so thats out of the question. My question is if anyone knows how i can get the highbeams to work in this situation? maybe i have to rig some wires from the bixenon system? Any help is appreciated thanks.

And just to clarify, The housings right now use h11 for lowbeam, and 9005 for drl/highbeam, which is also wierd cause i think the last owner had to replace the harness just to have these housings work. Dealer also mentioned that the stock ballasts are still in the car.

·
Dustin L.
524 Posts
Tap into the power for the highbeam with a relay and about a foot of wire, splice, crimp, and enjoy. I may have over simplified it but that's about the jist of it. Or find out if they told ur friend if it was wrecked, if they didn't I think he may have grounds to bring it back to them and they can deal with the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a private sale from a guy that went back to china, not from a dealer, so theres no one to blame and get it fixed.
Dont know what a relay does....or where to tap into though. The bixenons use an actuator for highbeams i think, and dont know how i could tap into that.

·
Dustin L.
524 Posts
Hmmmm. I would say make ur own wiring harness. Run a power to a switch that he can access from the drivers seat, then to a relay, then to the highbeam, put the ground to the output of the low beam( I don't know the color wire u will tie into but a search on this forum or google may get u that answer). As far as size of relay I dunno, but that's about the only way I can think of to bypass the factory headlamp circuit since u don't know where to tie into.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What type of switch would i need? im not too knowledgable about electrical stuff honestly. From what ive read, a relay is supposed to be some sort of toggle that needs to be activated by a seperate switch connected to it right? Also, because this is a canadian car, it uses highbeam bulbs for the daytime running lights, so i would have to splice into the wiring just before the bulb so as not to affect the drls?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your best bet is to retrofit the halogen highbeam projectors with bixenon projectors from www.theretrofitsouece.com, this gives you bi-xenon functionality. Then you can just keep the existing housings and spend less than $1k for the whole thing by saving the existing housings.

·
DIY PRO
1,036 Posts
he will still need to custom wire it even if he does the retrofit. From the postings i've read it sounds like they wouldn't be up to the task.
Their best bet is to get the right lights and it would be a plug and play.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts