2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2010 Mazda 3 GT 5-door 2.5L, and in the past year and 30,000 miles have suffered the following problems:

* Uneven tire wear due to suspension issues? Not sure, went through stock tires in 15,000 miles normal freeway driving.

* Power windows are basically crap. Shudder when using, and if left half open then rattles all over the place.

* Power locks don't always work - make funny noises sometimes trying to engage.

* Interior plastic is *crap*. I got the Bose package and now I can't turn the bass up due to rattling all over the door panels - really bad design.

* Passenger side engine mount failed. Resulting in vibration in car, damaged to right side suspension and disc brakes.

Oh boy, I am starting to regret purchasing this car. Mazda are even giving me grief trying to get the warranty work done to fix the engine mount....

The previous gen models were so much better, but I wanted a '10 for the ugly look (yes, really) and upgraded electronics package. Now I wish I'd purchased an '09 Speed3 for the same or less.

Shame really, can these problems be attributed to Ford?

This one is likely going to the junker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad luck., I know the new 3's burn through tires quicker as a result of suspension camber but 15,000 miles seems rediculous. What tires came on your car?
I have heard a few complaints about windows and rattling/squeeking of interior panels but have not experienced any myself. A failed engine mount is strange too. Maybe your using too much zoom!?? jk.

·
Registered Drug User
100 Posts
I think the engine mount is pretty common. Or atleast the speed guys are always changing theirs. These cars have a very active suspension, but your tires should last longer than that.

Anyway welcome, and if your looking for somewhere to mail your Bose to, I just happen to know a guy:yes:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Got over 30,000mi out of my stock tires, have no issues with my power locks or windows. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

·
Use the Search Button!
746 Posts
That's sucks. I haven't run into any of those problems. I guess I have been a lucky one. My bass volume goes pretty high without hearing any rattling. Unless there is something in the side pockets. Might want to consider trading yours in before it costs more to repair if warranty is becoming an issue

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have had three issues with my 2010GT sport.(1) was the maplights, one would light or not depending when it felt like it, replaced under warranty. (2) Drivers seat bolster on the back rest premature wear, replaced under warranty, and (3) Head unit intermittently losing presets, being replaced tomorrow under warranty. No squeaks, rattles, or loose plastics ever even in the dead of winter. I love this car.

The small number of problems I have had are about par for the course and were taken care of with no hassles.

Pat.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car man! Mine is about the sane way! After 7944 miles, I got a new clutch and transmission, everything squeaks just about (spoiler, front windsheild, over head compartment, gauge cluster), my power door locks make weird sounds when opening, it had a weird and strange clunk in the front end this spring, then now it "dropped" the speed sensor. The technician told me that 2-3 more miles, and it would have gone through the wire, shorting out the electrical which in all could catch it on fire :sad 1:! I just got home bt an hour ago from dropping the turd off at the shop again...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update

OK some updates here as it seems I had incorrect info before.

The engine mount is fine, according to Mazda. But I found my aftermarket rims being wider have a smaller offset and thus the scrub radius has been changed .. so Mazda won't perform any warrany work.. sigh.

I've been checking the rear suspension and found the driver side rear sway bar end link appears loose - not clanking around but I'm able to twist it easily by hand when the car is jacked up. The passenger side one does not do that as easy - it's still has resistance when trying to turn.

I don't know if that would cause the annoying whole-car vibration/resonance but It's all I can see so far. The bearings do seem ok from quick visual and push/pull + listen inspection. The rest of the bushings in the rear I'm not sure about yet I need more light to get in and mess around.

One thing of note: last winter I went off the road at very low speeds but got stuck in snow (we got 2 feet in one evening).. when I was towed out, the guy connected the tow chain to my rear cross member on the drivers side.. he said it would be fine. However looking at the subsequent alignment report my rear driver wheel was at -0.09 degrees.. vs 0.15 degrees for the rear passenger side.. that's completely the wrong way, is it possible he damaged that area and that could be causing all these problems?

Just to recap, my main problem is strange vibrations/resonance that only seems to occur on very smooth roads while the wheels are all flat on the ground.. as if the whole car starts to 'shudder' starting at the rear and moving through the cabin to the front then the font wheels kind of 'shake it out'. Think of a dog shaking itself off after being in a lake... that's about as good as I can explain it.

It's driving me nuts, and Mazda now refuse to look at the car because of aftermarket wheels & CAI.

Any help, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

BTW: I live in Minnesota, if anyone is interested in taking a drive ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It used to be very specific, always started around 55mph and went away around 65mph. Here was the result of my initial troubleshooting:

1. Balance/Alignment - no change. Dealer said tires.
2. New tires + Balance/Alignment - no change. Dealer said bad wheels.
3. New Wheels + New Tires + Balance/Alignment - worse. Dealer said rotors+pads.
4. New pads/Rotors + Balance/Alignment - worse. Dealer said this is normal live with it. (it's not).
5. Went to new tire place, they road force balanced and laser aligned. My alignment was WAY off, they wondered if it had even ever been aligned properly. MUCH better, but still have the issue.
6. 3 balances later.. No fix, in fact it's getting much worse now.

The speeds where it starts are getting lower and lower and going higher and higher. The other day I was exiting the freeway (at normal speed) and hit a bump. The car lost control and went off the road.

When I got home I noticed my lug nuts on the rear driver side wheel were all hand-loose.

I'm so mad about this, because I got the car for it's awesome handling and now it just feels like something fundamental is busted somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts