2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

I've isolated this issue to something that only happens when it is by Mid-Atlantic standards "really cold" (40 or below) and my car is sitting exposed to the weather for an extended amount of time, which is usually overnight at my girlfriend's house as I have to park on the street. It doesn't happen if it sits in my building's garage overnight (~50-60 in the winter) and it doesn't happen if I leave it in the cold turned off just briefly.

There's 2 indicators for this problem:

1) A noise, halfway between a grind and a creaking noise that happens a few times per shift (syncopated in that regard). It's not gears grinding as I am operating the clutch smoothly.

2) A tactile feeling that I notice on both the clutch and gas pedal as I shift. Predominantly on the driver's side. It's almost similar to the reed-ish thing in the clutch that clicks as it goes in and out, but it's far more noticeable, and it happens a few times per shift. Like someone lightly tapping on the bottom of my foot.

This does go away after the car has been moving for a bit. Sometimes it's gone before I even go a mile. But it's been getting worse and worse. It does NOT affect performance (at least not yet) and it doesn't impede shifting. The clutch otherwise is fine and the car only has 25k miles on it.

I plan on taking it in and leaving it overnight at the Mazda dealership nearby next week, but was hoping to find out if any of you folks had a similar problem or might know what's wrong.

Some brief google research led me to a similar problem a lot of people were having on their MS3. While my car is a standard 5 door, it seems that some bad/sludgy transmission fluid might explain this.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a 2010 5-door as well but haven't experienced anything like that. I've had the car in far colder environments (i.e. it was 22 degrees this morning) and not had a single issue beyond normal cold car stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to get the muddy feeling with the clutch on my old Jetta I'd park outside. This is completely different.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Im in alaska and my clutch feels stiff in the cold but no weird feedback like you described. and mine loosens up rather quickly once i start driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2012 2.5 HB with 21k and it just started doing this a month ago....same EXACT symptoms. Goes away rest of day once car is warm...girl at service dept of Mazda said she has same problem with her identical car and they haven't been able to figure it out....I am thinking it could be the motor mounts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had the same issue recently now that it's cold again. I'll have my clutch all the way down and go to shift and it'll be as if I'm grinding the gears but as soon as it warns up its fine.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
246 Posts
maybe a trans fluid change my be in order

1 - 8 of 8 Posts