2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
F.N.G.
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was jus curious on how many ppl like that 2010 front end over the 2012 front end for the mazda 3? I personally think the 2010 style looks better and I was thinking if it would be possible to do a swap. any one got any thoughts on this?

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
I prefer the 2010/11. Especially the fog light design.

·
USMC
176 Posts
The 10/11 fog light design is awesome. I don't know why the speed didn't get those rectangle fogs and every one else the circles.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Speed3 has driving lights not fogs. They actually light up the edges of the road unlike the MZ3 fogs. They are H11 bulbs which are the same as the low beams. H11 are long life bulbs (300hours) so they are ment to be used all the time. The MZ3 has 9006 bulbs which have a shorter life so they are intermittant duty and mainly for foggy conditions. Higher speeds also reqiure better lighting. There's a reason behind Mazdas madness and the distict differences between the MS3 and the MZ3.

Reactions: ABolewski

·
Free Tibet! Today Only!!
914 Posts
autoexe "fogs" are H11's Light up more of the road than my 6000k's do.

·
F.N.G.
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im with you on that one. I got a 2012 skyactiv and every time I look at that huge plastic center part I almost cringe lol. I want to swap it out but id hate to "bastardize" my car.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree. The 2012s need a front lip imo. I really hope that the aftermarket steps up and makes one soon. I can't believe that no one has released a knock-off Axela front lip that is a dealer option in Japan.

·
Registered
655 Posts
guess i'm the only one, i like the 2012 front end more then the 2010... i've had both

·
Free Tibet! Today Only!!
914 Posts
guess i'm the only one, i like the 2012 front end more then the 2010... i've had both
12 is better shaping wise. The material used in the side-grille things looks like trash, though. Should be open or vented or something. It was a promising look up until that.

·
USMC
176 Posts
I didn't know all that warlord! Didn't know they had different bulbs and had different functions.
I don't dislike the 2012, it does look slightly cheaper I think. I do like the body design around the grill but the grill it self is another story.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I like the 12 better. Mainly because of the reduced smile look and its slighly more rounded.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I don't like the 12. It looks too much like a focus and Jetta at the bottom. I don't like the thing on 2010 3i's that cover where the fog lights are. So 2011 for me.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
570 Posts
Speed3 has driving lights not fogs. They actually light up the edges of the road unlike the MZ3 fogs. They are H11 bulbs which are the same as the low beams. H11 are long life bulbs (300hours) so they are ment to be used all the time. The MZ3 has 9006 bulbs which have a shorter life so they are intermittant duty and mainly for foggy conditions. Higher speeds also reqiure better lighting. There's a reason behind Mazdas madness and the distict differences between the MS3 and the MZ3.
Good point. I wonder if the '12 round fogs are the same as the MS3 lamps.

But I have to disagree with you on 9006 being for intermittant use. Most vehicles with separate low/high beam headlamp housings use a 9006 low beam.

A little dated, but:
Bulb Application Guide

·
USMC
176 Posts
55 Watt 8000K HID bulbs.
Google DDM Tuning.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Actually 55w fogs aren't recommended. I'd stick with 35w.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I prefer the look of the 2010/11 front end because on the 2012 front end it has these jutting things below the fog lights that look a bit goofy, the 2010/11 looks more consistent.

Also on the 2010/11 you can get fog light trims that are vented to allow air to flow thru on the drivers side where a CAI would be, and under where an SRI would be. I combined this vented trim with a CS SRI and air-box, adding the vent cost $35 and I did feel a difference, I bet it is small tho on a dyno.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts