2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a one-owner, 80k sedan from Carmax. Looks like the googled pic below. I was heavily influenced by wife's 2005 6s 2.3/auto. I told her that if BMW needed to know how an inexpensive FWD should drive and handle, they should try a Mazda. Nuts to the $$ Mini which I have no interest in, never driven one.

Changed out the factory plugs (for NGK's). Now running fuel system cleaner in a tank of gas and I swear the lively 2.5 has become livelier. It used to stumble at low revs from a stop. Changing oil soon as god knows what the PO/Carmax put in.

Doesn't Koni usually have a sale every January or Feb? BTW, is that a Ford or Mazda engine in my car? The dipstick has FoMoCo on it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Congrats on the car and welcome to the site. The 2.5L can definitely be a fun engine, even if it isn't turbo'd. I may be wrong, but from what I've gathered the 2.5L is a Mazda engine. However, being from the era of Ford ownership, you'll find a LOT of parts on the car stamped with "FoMoCo"

·
Registered
393 Posts
welcome. I got the same car! Great minds think alike :thumbup 1:
I just got me some RM springs 1.25. I'm waiting on some konis as well as a RSB. And, I'm so close to getting MS3 rims for my baby :yes:

Like @RedTape said, everything you need to know is HERE

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Welcome. I drove a mini Cooper S. You aren't missing anything. Power is not impressive and handling is similar to the Mazda. Definitely the Mazda is way more fun to drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. Pics soon. Dealing with a cracked TPMS 'nut' and slow leak. The only thing that would make this car better is no sunroof. Just checked helmet clearance...oh well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small update. Luckily NAPA had a TPMS service kit with the nut I needed.

Not liking how thick the steering wheel spokes are nor how slick the wheel is but the latter is probably something the PO or Carmax car prep did, dumb asses.

Changed the oil to the same synthetic we use in the 2005 Mazda 6.

The headlights brighten and dim at idle when I start to let the clutch out or turn the heater fan on to full blast .. hmmm. Do the batteries Mazda puts in their cars usually have a short life? The one in the 6 did. Battery connections appear good.

The expensive Ford trans oil should be here tomorrow. Got it from Kman's parts, thanks to whoever posted that tip.

Carmax wants to check the clutch judder in a week or 2. (82k miles on car)

Happy holidays and all that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts