2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Mazda 3. When the temps get to about 30 degrees F, the car will not start. Sometimes it will, but usually not. I turn the key, lights, radio, fan come on but, it does not even attempt to turn over. Here is what I have tried. Realy switches, new key, multiple batteries of of the highest quality. In fact, I pulled the battery out of the Mazda and put it on my toyota sequoia when it was 10 degrees to prove a point and it turned it right over. I have know idea what to do. I only have about 6 months of worry free starting with this car out of the year. Any help qould be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Instead of replacing your battery multiple times you should buy a volt meter to see if the battery is charged or not. If the battery is new but not charging, then you have an alternator problem. It doesn't seem you have a problem with either of these. You can also get a free battery load check and a charging system test done at any auto parts store or a Batteries Plus store.

Since your battery is good, and electrically everything is else is fine (that you know of), then perhaps you have a problem with your starter. The solenoid on the starter might be bad, or simply sticking in really cold weather, and if the solenoid doesn't activate properly then the starter gear will never engage the engine flywheel.

If it's not the starter, then you could have a weird problem with either your PCM or TCM. Do you have a manual or automatic? How many miles on the car?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts