2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am new on this forum (obviously) and I have been actively looking for a used car with a budget of $6000-$9000 and recently came across this unit for sale. As the title says, it's a 2008 Mazda 3, i Touring trim, manual transmission with 95k miles on it, private party, located at Salt Lake City, Utah. Before finding this Mazda 3, I was actually very keen on getting a 2006-2008 Honda Civic. I hope it's not a mistake switching from Civic to Mazda 3. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

The owner is asking for $8750 and I will be paying cash, so hopefully it will still be negotiable. I am going to make a best offer of $8000-$8200. Do you guys think it's a good deal? (even if I had to pay $8500)

Owner's description: Very clean, sporty, fun to drive Mazda 3! This has the 2.0 liter engine, gets excellent gas mileage! Here is a list of the main features: 16" alloy wheels, tinted windows, power windows & door locks, cruise control, AC (cold!), 60/40 split fold down rear seat, side turn-signal repeater lights, steering wheel audio controls, Sirius satellite radio compatible, auxiliary audio input jack, cruise control, tilt & telescoping steering column, variable assist power steering, 4-wheel disc brakes, adjustable drivers seat height & lumbar support, rear center arm rest.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks clean, but I got my 2008 Touring S automatic with 104k miles for $7500 from a used car dealer.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Also, I believe that the model has a recall or issue with the fuel injector or fuel pump. My nephew has 2009, 2.0 automatic that had a problem. Car still drove, but when he took it to the shop, the owner (Rotorsport Mazda) let him know that it was under warranty up to 150K. He had about 125K I believe. Without the heads up from the owner it would have cost over 6 or 700$- I can't remember, but it was a lot. Maybe someone can confirm...... But, other than that, the 3's are sweet and mazda in general. I got 2, plus thinking about the 2014 :cheesy:

·
Registered
393 Posts
And I think you can find a better looking one with more features for that price. I remember finding some a few years back in that model or about 10K with less miles. Sedan is your preferred choice?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
And I think you can find a better looking one with more features for that price. I remember finding some a few years back in that model or about 10K with less miles. Sedan is your preferred choice?
I actually went to see the car last week and the owner was asking for $8400. This car was probably the cleanest and it drove the best, out of 5-6 cars I have looked at (including some Mazda3's and Civic's). It seems to be very well taken care of.

However, there were some issues stopping me from buying the car. The keyless entry worked perfectly but the power lock didn't work from the inside (both the driver and passenger side). Do you happen know how much would it take to get that fixed? And the owner is the third, has only had this car for 2 months. He bought it for her teenage daughter, but according to him, she did something terribly wrong and pissed him off. So as a punishment, he is selling the car. I'm not sure if I'd buy this. Not trying to be too judgmental, but it's a manual for his teenage daughter? Seemed a little sketchy to me.

I kinda low-balled him and made an offer of $7000. I wasn't really interested and serious at that time. I knew he would never take that offer. Before leaving, I told him I'll keep looking and if I don't find one, I would hit him up to see if he still has the car and maybe we can work something out. After shopping around, I have looked at some Mazda3's in much worse shape, asking for $7500-$8000. The tires have like 50 miles left in them, interior looks like a 10 years old car. I am planning to give him a call tomorrow and offer him $7400 for it. Does that sound more reasonable? He said he could get the power lock fixed before selling it to me. But I think I'll just tell him to give me the car for $7400 and I will take car of the power lock.

Also, does this Mazda3 model have a timing belt or a timing chain? Because if it had a timing belt, the mileage of this car suggests that it will need replacing in the near future. And I don't think the tires on this car still have a lot left.

And no, I don't mind a sedan or a hatchback.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The interior of this car was practically flawless, but yeah it does have a high mileage. But 15k miles per year isn't incredibly high.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I actually went to see the car last week and the owner was asking for $8400. This car was probably the cleanest and it drove the best, out of 5-6 cars I have looked at (including some Mazda3's and Civic's). It seems to be very well taken care of.

However, there were some issues stopping me from buying the car. The keyless entry worked perfectly but the power lock didn't work from the inside (both the driver and passenger side). Do you happen know how much would it take to get that fixed? And the owner is the third, has only had this car for 2 months. He bought it for her teenage daughter, but according to him, she did something terribly wrong and pissed him off. So as a punishment, he is selling the car. I'm not sure if I'd buy this. Not trying to be too judgmental, but it's a manual for his teenage daughter? Seemed a little sketchy to me.

I kinda low-balled him and made an offer of $7000. I wasn't really interested and serious at that time. I knew he would never take that offer. Before leaving, I told him I'll keep looking and if I don't find one, I would hit him up to see if he still has the car and maybe we can work something out. After shopping around, I have looked at some Mazda3's in much worse shape, asking for $7500-$8000. The tires have like 50 miles left in them, interior looks like a 10 years old car. I am planning to give him a call tomorrow and offer him $7400 for it. Does that sound more reasonable? He said he could get the power lock fixed before selling it to me. But I think I'll just tell him to give me the car for $7400 and I will take car of the power lock.

Also, does this Mazda3 model have a timing belt or a timing chain? Because if it had a timing belt, the mileage of this car suggests that it will need replacing in the near future. And I don't think the tires on this car still have a lot left.

And no, I don't mind a sedan or a hatchback.

Thanks!
the locks should not be that hard to fix. Probably a simple motor. I believe the car has a timing chain. My 05 hatchback (mz6) has a chain. Probably just need to do the water pump later for the car you want to get and make sure she rides well. But, if the car was taken care of, it should last a long time. My 05 has 170k original motor and tranny. Just recently replaced control arms in front and a motor mount last year. Other than that, simple maintenance and tlc keeps the car running good...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts