2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

My girlfriend has 2008 hatchback with ~85k miles. Runs great although steering wheel shook at some speeds, left front suspension made horrible clunking noise on any bump in road, and that tire was worn out way wrong (outer edge fine, inner edge destroyed). I was too busy with work so couldn't go with, but she brought it to dealer and:

Aug 25th - 4 new tires, align, front brake pads/resurface rotors, replaced engine mount, asked her to come back in week

Sep 6th - replaced left outer CV boot, trans fluid, told her all was fine and done

Rode with her once the day she got it back, and definitely drove much better (straight no shake), although day later she noticed clunk was still there (but not as often or loud). We didn't have time to go back so she just kept driving it. I get in car a week later with her, and now suddenly in addition to clunk noise there was a VERY loud whirring noise from front, increased with speed and gone on stop regardless of engine rpm. She said it had slowly started over past week and was hoping it was nothing. It reminded me of an old supra i had with a bad rear differential - not a good situation. Still couldn't go with her, so she took it back to dealer next day:

Sep 12th - 'removed debris from axle' for no charge, and told her 'some plastic was wrapped around axle'. Dynamo noise greatly reduced, but still there, and most definitely wasn't there on the 6th. I asked her about the clunk and she said they swore everything was fine, and she just wanted to get out of there (having already dropped $2k)

Any thoughts appreciated on

a) clunking noise that dealer didn't address?

b) this whole dynamo noise thing? She says she didn't run over anything, and is pretty good about things like that, so I can't figure out what could have suddenly changed . . . ideally we were planning on keeping the car another 3-5 yrs at least, but not if we're not sure it's going to last.

Thanks all for any thoughts and hope you are having a good NY - Wes

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
I would do a forum search on clunking noise and you should find some results and answers. I beleive one of the culprits was a worn out top hat and bearing assembly on the strut. As for the noise, check to make sure the metal debris shield behind the brake rotor isnt rubbing with the rotor. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts