2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery went dead because I forgot to close the trunk so the dome light stayed on. I boosted my car with no issues and went for a drive. During my drive (about an hour in) the power steering light came on and I lost power steering. Then a few minutes later, the ABS light came on, then the handbrake light, then the airbag light, then the radio cut out. Finally, all the lights (interior and exterior) began flashing very quickly. I pulled over and shut he car off. It would not restart on its own or with a boost. The car lights up as usual when in "run", but it turns over very slowly and does not start. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? The battery seems to be fine, but wouldn't having a boost eliminate any issues with the battery? Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Looks like the control system is sensing low battery voltage. Might be dirty battery terminals that are bypassed when you connect the booster cables. Could also be the battery ground that would be bypassed if you connected the boost cable directly to the block- this would also prevent the alternator from charging- normally the engine should get enough current from the alternator to run once it's started and yours's isn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the control system is sensing low battery voltage. Might be dirty battery terminals that are bypassed when you connect the booster cables. Could also be the battery ground that would be bypassed if you connected the boost cable directly to the block- this would also prevent the alternator from charging- normally the engine should get enough current from the alternator to run once it's started and yours's isn't.
I cleaned the battery terminals with sandpaper to expose the shiny metal and it still won't start. The car turns over but very slowly. There is very little difference between turning over under the car's own battery or when hooked up to boost. I hooked the booster cables up - to - and + to +, nothing was connected to the frame.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Can you find the main connection of the -ve terminal lead to the block and make sure it is clean?
If you can hook a multimeter to the battery and check cranking voltage- I like to see at least 10V. I made up a set of extension leads with 2 core flex and alligator clips so I can do this from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Your battery may not be holding a charge. How old is it? If it's around four years old then it was on the way out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would say the Alternator could be an issue, and/or the Battery or both.
Being thats what happens when its not charging the battery, and all the systems start to shut down, because there is no supply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the alternator and the car ran perfectly for a couple of days. Now it won't start again. It does not even turn over now. Im thinking the battery may be the issue. It reads 12.4V and all the lights etc. come on when I turn on the key, but does not turn over or make any clicking noises.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts